Any One USed Service Magic to get bids on Home Repair?

A friend suggested I use an internet based company that sends out 3 or

4 companies to do a bid on the repair ( Roof ). Does any one have experience with them? Are they good? Do they charge? Thanks!
Reply to
mike-in boulder

Talking to 3 or 4 neighbors would be more informative , and will most likley get you someone good.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Des Perado

Actually, after Service Magic came to us to try to sell us on the service, as in advertising with them and becoming a listed contractor with them, and paying their outragous prices..(you dont pay, the sucker contractor does) we tried them. I had a customer that needed some work done and it was related to work thta we simply dont do. I put in a request, and was promised the old, "4 to 8 bids in 24 hours" deal, and I got 2.....and it took 5 days for them to get in touch with me. No..they suck, and as a contractor, I will not have any part of them.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

I got a bid via Service Magic. Should be called Service Bullshit. The guy only wanted to quote for doing more than I asked him to, and came up with a nice round number ($2,000) with no breakdown of parts/labor. I got another quote for less than half.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

I used Service Magic to find a plumber for a very simple problem - just a badly clogged drain. They have an online review service for their contractors, so it's like instant referral-checking.

I was contacted by four plumbers in less than 8 hours. All of them were capable of doing the work, two were available on the night I needed to have it done. Of those two, one was an independent plumber and one was a company. The company quoted me almost double the price of the independent, who was not charging me extra for an evening visit.

I went with the independent. He and his partner were polite, careful, and efficient. In and out, cost was good, service and responsiveness from all four companies was excellent.

Obviously, this was a very minor service need, but I would use ServiceMagic again to find a contractor for a larger project.

I know, I sound like I work for the company, but I really don't :)

ServiceMagic does not charge the customer anything; it sounds like they make their money by getting the contractors to buy in to their system.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

I've used it too.

Unfortunately I didn't go with any of the people that called me, mostly because of price - too expensive.

I wanted to purchase what I thought were the best vinyl windows, then have them installed for me. One guy said no thanks, three others were pretty responsive. One guy wanted $500 just to replace a sill (that didn't need replacing). One guy wanted to cut my asbestos shingles with a circular saw (and make me feel guilty for exposing him to "asbestos), and one guy, well - he was just too high. As for the asbestos guy - the solution was just to wiggle the shingle, no cutting needed.

They pay a nominal amount *after* they elect to download the prospective customer. Maybe $20 I think he said. Maybe not even that.

So you are weeding out those guys that are "fly by night" knocking on your door on Saturday mornings. That's the best thing.

Reply to
ng_reader

One thing about Service Magic. It does not cost the homeowner anything to get a contractor out, but the contractor pays just to get the chance to come out to look at your job. He (or she) pays SM regardless if they get the job or not.

Reply to
HeatMan