How to get bids from tree trimmer?

I want to do "windsail reduction" on my douglas fir (more than 5 story high).

When you get a bid for this, does the tree trimmer usually specify the number of branches they plan to cut? Without this, it's impossible to compare bids and impossible to know whether they completed the job. Even if the number of branches are specified, the height of the branch obviously also affect the difficulty.

If you have experience with this kind of bid, I'd like to hear your experience.

Reply to
john

You're overanalyzing. Get estimates for the whole job. You'll find differing opinions about what needs to be removed. If someone sounds like they're pulling ideas outta their ass (see

for examples), say "Thanks. I'll call you back." show them the door.

Next, speak to everyone you know. Coworkers, neighbors, everyone. As if any of them have used a tree service that they've been happy with.

The minute you begin dividing the price by the number of branches, you're wasting your time with an irrelevant metric.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Aug 6, 5:51=EF=BF=BDpm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote= :

make certain they are insured with references.

I hired nice tree company who accidently brought down a 15,000 volt main line. people could of been killed including me.

explosion, street had to be blocked off, power out for a couple hours.

the tree companies insurance reportedly paid 15 grand, for power company, and cable company emergency generators to keep the cable amps working.

I had planned to go and direct traffic, the crew was one worker short.

I would of been standing where the lince contacted the asphalt street. the burn mark was on that street for years till it was repaved

Reply to
hallerb

Probably not worth the effort to bid the job, especially for one tree with a cfh. Hire someone who has done a good job for your neighbors.

Reply to
beecrofter

John,

Look through your phone book for arborists. Go to the Better Business Bureau web-site and see if any of the arborists have large numbers of complaints. Call a few of the arborists for estimates. Be sure to ask about both workers comp and liabilty insurance. Then choose the one you like.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Get several bids. When I asked for proof of insurance and that the trimmer is bonded I never heard from them again. Pay after the job is completed.

Reply to
Phisherman

OP, U R retarded.

Reply to
Stephen King

I read the title three times before I got it right. I was wondering why you would want to get birds from a tree trimmer or how you might do that.

Maybe it is time for new glasses.

Reply to
jmeehan

You are too picky.