Any major hurdles installing 30-yr. shingles?

What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as opposed to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do the labor myself but only have experience with the standard flat three tab 20 yr. style.

You don't have to do it as often. They get nailed the same way. Follow the instructions on the package.
Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Dam! Now _THERE'S_ a novel thought... :)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Nah, ya' still replace on the hailstorm's schedule...
:)

True here. I just replaced mine after the worst hailstorm I've ever seen. Then we had another hailstorm (fortunately not as bad) right after the bad one. I suspect I'll be shelling out the deductible every 3 to 6 years. 20 vs. 30?... If I was paying for it I'd get the 20 year.

The instructions on the bundles of shingles I've seen say to use the "stair-step" method by their illustrations and instructions on the package holding the bundles. Yet, everyday almost, I see "professional" roofers going straight up to the ridge in a squared fashion, then bridging sideways after they reach the ridge. Is there any shingle life deteriment or potential leakage in application of shingles by these roofers vs. the instructions provided by the manufacturer application method?

Are these 30yr 3 tabbed or architectural? The latter are heavier but you don't have to worry about the tabs in non-field areas.

Architectural shingles will withstand hail storms much better (up to a certain point) because they are thicker and cushion the impact.
KC

with a 30 year roof might as well install the rubber self sealing membrame too.
whats it called ?
Use full head good quality nails....some use stainless...... Use 30 # felt......... The steeper the pitch the closer the stagger....and likewise the lower the pitch, the less the stagger.... Some people use Ice and Water paper.....a nice addition..... Sharp blades necessary for cutting...... I use 30 year comps for the ridge.....3 tab....they seal better. jloomis

on 7/12/2009 12:16 PM (ET) Jon wrote the following:

They're heavier carrying up the ladder.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That's what my assistant is for. He's paid not to complain! <bg>