Any experience here with solar panels or windmills?

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

you make an Ad Hominem attack.
Out of curiosity what did algore do for you to gain your complete total love and devotion?

.net> wrote:

Al Gore might be obamas VP nominee:)
He could specialize in environmental issues, and brings experience to the presidency, since he was VP previously

geez why don't you just go up there and su*k his di*k.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yeah, but he keeps flying in his private jet.
Thank goodness there's a new airline for fat-asses: Derrie-Air
http://flyderrie-air.com /
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:31:22 +0000, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

June 20-22, 2008 Midwest Renewable Energy Fair Custer, WI (near Stevens Point)
Great event with resources, vendors, presentations and workshops on all forms of alternative renewable energy.
http://www.the-mrea.org/energy_fair.php

Franz Fripplfrappl
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:31:22 +0000, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

Vote Republican. It's not that they don't care. They just don't get it.

Franz Fripplfrappl
wrote in message

Did some R&R in Italy while in the Navy, last time was 2001. Solar heating for water is quite common there. U.S. is way behind on that point. At least from my perspective observation in central Texas of homes here.
Photovoltaics in reference to sourcing the sun is a good idea. However, initially, its a very expensive investment. If you live in an area that's historically subject to large hail damage, not a good idea.
You should not consider using windmills for a power source unless you live an area that has consistent wind availability. I could see installing a windmill to supplement photovoltaic, as it will most likely be somewhat windy on a cloudy day in most cases.
Some municipalities offer a credit in some form to decrease the initial cost of solar cells and equipment for electrical use.
--
Dave

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 07:58:06 -0500, Dioclese wrote:

A PBS rerun of E^2 this week was about wind. Comment made was that the US had its chance several decades back when energy was tight. Interest waned and Denmark and Germany became leaders in the technology. Now energy is up again and everyone has shifted into panic mode instead of into how-to-innovate-and-go-forward mode.

Franz Fripplfrappl
franz fripplfrappl said something like:
...[rip]...

I'm not sure that makes sense. IME "panic mode" provides the *best* impetus needed for innovation.
Any technology formed in another country is of course for sale globally. I don't see why it could possibly matter, unless I missed something.
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

of manufacturing the photovoltaics. It will take at least several years to just break even, but only if you live in a place with a lot of sun.
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

At one point in my career I installed photo voltaic systems for a subsidiary of Westinghouse. I'll help with information if I can. If I don't know I'll tell you that.
--
Tom Horne

On Jun 5, 8:31am, "Thomas G. Marshall"

So they are both hypocrites: Al tells us to do as he says not as he does and George tells us to do as he says not as he does. So choose your poison. I choose to do my own thing. And that is do as much as I can for the planet and get me off the addiction of OIL. 6 years and no electric ill and my gas bill keeps getting smaller. I do not put pay back at the top of the list of why to do something. It is normally on the bottom. If there was good info on the total effect a product has on our environment it would be at the top.
We did a lot of energy reduction, then production. Now we are doing more reduction soon to do a solar DHW thermal hot water and maybe some solar thermal heating. My goal is to get the gas to zero.
If one wants to look at what is the most cost effective. Reducing the energy consumed is almost always less expensive then producing more. So, do a complete Whole House Performance analysis and do many of those items first before producing more.
Every company will have conflicting information on the performance of their equipment. They all want you to think they have the best. You should be able to find info on the Department of Energy site for estimating the size you need. As for the companies I do not have a good answer for you.
I have a PV (Photovoltaic) system for 8 years now. It has 24-120 watt kyocera panels and a Sunny Boy inverter and faces SW on a 4-12 pitch roof with no shading. It produces about 4,300 kWhs per year. It has been running now for 6 years.
As for wind look into http://www.bergey.com/ I understand they have a durable unit. As for production your specific site can vary dramatically year to year. One would have to study it for many years at the height of the wind turbine. Not practical. So you have to go by the experience and knowledge of those in your area. I do not recall where but there is a comprehensive US wind map. Your area can vary depending on the micro climate your in.
I hope some of this helps.
Andy