Any experience here with solar panels or windmills?

Page 1 of 3
I've been interested in potentially going a smidgeon more green, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with solar panels (water warming, or even photo voltaic), and/or windmills.
The research online does not compare to useful observations from people who have actually installed them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 5, 10:31 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"

alt.energy.homepower
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 6/5/2008 11:31 AM Thomas G. Marshall said the following:

Al Gore does not have solar panels, or any other energy saving improvements, installed on his 40,000 sq ft Nashville, Tennessee house. Since he is the recipient of an Academy Aware for his documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth", on global warming, I guess they don't work, or it is just us who haven't a wife that is the heiress of the Heinz fortune have to make the sacrifices. He uses over 18,000 kwh of electricity a month and his natural gas bill is over $1000 per month. George Bush does have energy saving improvements on his house in Crawford, Texas. No cites here, just Google it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Al Gore calls himself an environmentalist, yet he has four (!) kids. Snort.
Add pictures here
βœ–
but didn't Al Gore invent solar collectors?
<h> wrote in message

Add pictures here
βœ–
bill allemann said something like:

The thing about {still chuckling} that internet comment is that I more or less understand what I *think* he meant by it, and it's more or less forgiveable. But it is without a doubt one of those comments that sticks to you like JB weld.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

He never said he "invented" the internet. He said he passed laws thet helped make it happen. The reported claim is pure bunk.
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob F said something like:

Yes, I'm well aware of what he said. This statement:
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.
...s enough to stick. Note the key components of this:
*I* -- Al Gore *I took the initiative* -- Al Gore did something on his own that was novel *creating the internet* -- creating means that there was no internet before, and then there was. "Invented" is hardly a far cry from that.
Did this statement float around without context? Yep. Did it stand all by itself as something obnoxious? No, I'm pretty sure what he meant by it, given the context of the conversation. But it is not "pure bunk"-----the public /misunderstanding/ of this is purely understandable.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 7, 3:37 pm, "Thomas G. Marshall"

The public misunderstanding is due to right wing lies and spin it was intentionally twisted to make him look rediculous and then repeated thousands of times and they are still doing it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob F wrote:

Right.
But it took the Republican "slime machine" to obscure the truth and propagate the lie through an intellectually-lazy bunch of disgruntled "ditto heads" into the wider culture.
If you want to know what two of the acknowledged "internet wizzards" (Robert Kahn and Vint Cerf) thought [in 2000] about Al Gore's contributions to the creation and growth of the internet-as-we-know-it, check out:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/10/02/net_builders_kahn_cerf_recognise /
Here are some direct quotes:
"Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development. . . . AS THE TWO PEOPLE WHO DESIGNED THE BASIC ARCHITECTURE AND THE CORE PROTOCOLS THAT MAKE THE INTERNET WORK, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time. [Emphasis added] . . . "The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective. . . . "As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily forgotten now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. . . . "As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks into an "Interagency Network. . . . Gore secured the passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in 1991. This "Gore Act" supported the . . . initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.
"As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies that spawned it. . . . ". . . No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President."
Add pictures here
βœ–

Just for openers, Tipper Gore is NOT the heiress of the Heinz fortune. I'll leave it to others to decide how much of the rest of your post is accurate.
Just for starters...
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/al_gore_gets_a.php
Add pictures here
βœ–

That reference sure shoots down the previous idiots post.
Add pictures here
βœ–

John Kerry is married to Terissa Heinz not Al Gore
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com said something like:

John Kerry is not married to Al Gore?
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 6/5/2008 9:07 PM snipped-for-privacy@juno.com said the following:

Ooops. All those democrats look alike to me. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

You are working too hard. Just buy "carbon credits" and pat yourself on the back for being considerate and thoughtful.
Seriously the least expensive way to get a little greener is to look at your current consumption and see what you can reduce.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

alt.energy.homepower is the group with the expertise.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hypocrite?
http://www.truthandprogress.com/showDiary.do?diaryId83
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 5, 7:56οΏ½pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

adding insulation, buying a FUEL EFFICENT VEHICLE, CF lights, these will no doubt net way larger savings than going solar or wind......
although all have advantages.
wind is location location location, solar needs living where you get lots of sun.. desert southwest good, pittsburgh why bother.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with hypocrisy. 90% of gynecologists are male.
Add pictures here
βœ–