any comments on the new Maytag Neptune top loader washers

Not sure if this is the right group, but thought I'd try here. Haven't been able to find any reviews at all on the 6800 new model. Was wondering how they compare with the old 5500 front loader which is now $100 less than the top loader (unless you pay for the base to raise the height of the FL so you don't bend over as much).
Thanks
--
Phil Tomaskovic
Please remove NOSPAM from email return address.

Check the class action suits against Maytag for the model numbers you are interested in. Lots of lawyers lining up at the Neptune trough!     S25

That is for the older front load style washer, the OP is interested in the top load style Neptune washer.....which may not have been out long enough for much/many/any? reviews yet.
Thanks, the new top loader seems similar to the Whirlpool Calypso design. Not sure how that machine rated. With the $100 rebate and a 1 yr interest free charge and a 20 yr old machine, thought it might be time to buy.

Just did a search. Well there is one lawsuit by one law firm. LOL
I own one of the old models subject to the suit. It was already 5 years old and I heard you could call up Maytag and say the word "mildew" and they would come out and upgrade the machine for free. Had it done last year and made a good machine better. Addresses everything in the lawsuit for no charge.

Well, I went to Abt Electronics today and they had both a 6800 and 9800 washer returned units on the floor for sale; also a matching 9800 gas dryer returned. Not a real good sign... The salesman wasn't too keen on them since they have had a few returned because the customers didn't think they cleaned well enough (he said one woman complained about the wet clothes being in a ball and needing extra ironing. He was recommending the frontloader Neptune, Whirlpool Duet and Fisher & Paykel. But they also were marking down the returned 6800 on the floor and I could still get the rebate. So for $630 after rebate (vs $899 for a new one) and a 30 day no question return policy, I decided to try the 6800. I also took the returned 9800 dryer for $650 (regular price $869) which is even less than a new 6800 dryer. I assume the dryer was just returned because they bought it with the 9800 washer as a set.
I can see where one's expectations for a $900 washer could be a lot higher than for a $600 one so I will see how it goes. Worse case, if it doesn't work out, I'll keep the dryer and return the 6800 for the front loader Neptune.
The salesman even asked me to call him after I tried it a few times to let him know what I thought.

Hi,
Sounds like you got a deal on the prices!! :)
Thankx for the update!