Ants and the shed door

Page 2 of 2
On 6/4/2012 1:04 AM, Cheryl wrote:

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone suggested replacing the door. With the expense and labor of using wood stabilizer, it seems that replacing the rotted parts might be better. Particle board in a wet environment is bad news...it isn't rotting, it is just coming unglued.
IF the ramp is wood, perhaps a strip can be cut across it just to allow runoff and avoid pooling against the door.

As someone else said, a picture is worth a thousand words.
When I picture (in my mind) a ramp, I picture a surface that slopes away from the door. When I picture a surface that slopes away from the door, I have trouble picturing water pooling against the door.
It sure would be nice to know that the OP means when she says "And maybe the way the door sits against the ramp holds too much water."
On 6/4/2012 1:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, photos would definitely help solve the problems. I pictured a ramp with a flat, level area at the door....danged ESP isn't working today :o) If the shed is fairly new, I'd be talking to the mfg. about a new door.

The rot needs to be stopped and killed first, rot is alive and eating at your wood because the conditions of excessive moisture are right for it to live. Laundry bleach kills rot, I'd soak the bottom of the door in bleach then grind and cut out the damaged area, then use auto bindo . If you don't correct the reason for excessive moisture the rot will come back. There are treatments for wood to help prevent rot you could use, google for them, and there are wood preservatives . I would take off the door and soak the bottom in bleach. The ants may have made a nest in the rotted door. Look up your shed warranty, it should have something on rot. If its relatively new it probably stays wet and in the shade and isn't drying out thoroughly. Rot is going to be hard to control but laundry bleach sprayed on the wood can help to kill the organisms before they continue to eat away at the wood .

I've used RotDoctor stuff pretty successfully in the past. http://www.rotdoctor.com /