Another refrigerator question

Page 1 of 2
The recent refrigerator thread has inspired me to ask about our recent problems too.
This is a GE side-by-side unit with icemaker and digital temp set/display on the front panel, purchased 13 months ago with 5-year extended warranty.
It sits in an non air conditioned kitchen; but even through last summer it managed to keep to the manufacturer's recommended set points of 0 degrees for the freezer and 37 for the refrigerator.
Over the last few months, the temp on the freezer side (even after a cool overnight with no door openings) has occasionally been over 10 degrees, and now with the summer heat it is common to wake up in the morning to find it still running, and the freezer side temp at 13 - 19 degrees. Needless to say our ice cream is soupy. Really nothing about how we use, load, arrange the refrigerator contents has changed; just the temperature. Seals are OK, it's not overloaded. Abundant clearance at the bottom where lots of hot air get expelled.
First visit from repair; told us the unit was never levelled properly (installed by same dealer providing the extended warranty) and that was interfering with defrosted runoff. Fixed that; 3 days later no change in temperature.
Second repair visit; guy insists the temp gauge must be wrong because we have ice. Told him that ice freezes at 32 degrees; showed him the soupy ice cream. OK; he'll be back in 3 days with a repacement computer unit for the front panel.
I'm not hopeful it will fix the issue; what else should we pursue with him on the next visit?
I'm working on a customer's unit, which has different problems than that. As to your unit, I'd look for dirty condensor, low air flow, defrost problems, low freon.
[...]

Thanks, will float those by the repair guy when he returns.
Please write back, so we can learn, also.

Thanks, will float those by the repair guy when he returns.

Will do. Thanks all for the suggestions.

First update.
On the second repair visit, the tech placed an order for a new CPU unit. In the intervening days, a package arrived from GE's parts warehouse.
On the appointed day, a different tech arrived (I was no in the house that dya) and told the family that the first tech had ordered the wrong part (it said "inverter unit" on the box). Freezer temperature now hovering about 20 and, for the first time, refrigerator temp consistently above set point too.
They shoved the list of things to check (suggested here) under his nose. He removed the back wall of the freezer compartment to reveal the condenser encased in ice. So it's a defrost problem - suggested here - and we noted the temperatures are highest on the days with the most humidity.
More parts ordered - return visit sched for tomorrow (Tuesday 7/24).
Encased in ice, would be the evaporator. The condensor gets hot. Other than that, it's progress. At least you have a general idea what's going on.
First update.
On the second repair visit, the tech placed an order for a new CPU unit. In the intervening days, a package arrived from GE's parts warehouse.
On the appointed day, a different tech arrived (I was no in the house that dya) and told the family that the first tech had ordered the wrong part (it said "inverter unit" on the box). Freezer temperature now hovering about 20 and, for the first time, refrigerator temp consistently above set point too.
They shoved the list of things to check (suggested here) under his nose. He removed the back wall of the freezer compartment to reveal the condenser encased in ice. So it's a defrost problem - suggested here - and we noted the temperatures are highest on the days with the most humidity.
More parts ordered - return visit sched for tomorrow (Tuesday 7/24).
On 7/18/2012 12:44 PM, Mike S. wrote:

it's under warrantee. why do you care how often he comes out until it's fixed? does your state have a lemon law (3 strikes and you get your money back)?

We do have a lemon law; however, the manufacturer's warranty expired last month and I'm not sure if the lemon law applies to third-party warranty extensions. Good thought; will keep that in mind.
On Jul 18, 3:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

If you paid by credit card, it might be that your manufacturer's warranty is extended.....
Andy

Another good point. I don't think the card we used offers that feature but it won't hurt to look back.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:01:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

years and everything in them froze solid no matter how many times you opened the door.

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs, either.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:33:42 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

And the refrigerators worked well without computers in them. This thread is a good reminder to keep what I have running as long as I can.
I admit that cars run better these days with the fuel injection and computer settings, but refrigerators, dishwashers, and ranges don't need all of that brain power to work well.

That's a good plan, but irrelevant.

No, but they do "need" the higher efficiency. The government says so.

I just want a refrigerator you can set time of day for defrost, and I don't want it rotating around the clock. Might have to do it myself.
Greg

With a good refrigerator, you'll never notice the defrost times.

I don't agree, and if your actively working in the kitchen during defrost, it's that much worse. I have measured refrigerators with data loggers, without opening doors, and you might be surprised. Have yo eaten ice cream at the end of the defrost cycle, or used data loggers ?
Greg

Again, I've never noticed any changes with my ice cream at different times and don't see it as a problem. Our experiences and refrigerators differ. My ice cream is just soft enough to scoop. I keep it on the door as it is just a couple degrees warmer than if it is on a shelf inside. I really was never curious what a data loggers says as it does not affect my use. I'm sure it uses more energy at times and I have no idea how much. I have no idea what time or times it goes into defrost cycle. One fridge is about 20 years old, the other about 10.

When I'm working in the kitchen, I'm often reminded of a long quiet pause in the fridge. It will also make little cracking sounds. I never had to think about it much, but figure why they decided to rotate the defrost cycle around the clock, something like add or subtract 1 hour every day. Why didn't they just use a 24 hour setting ?? I think they had a reason.
Greg

And the reason. If it defrosted every day before mealtime, that probably is not a good idea.
Greg