OT - comfortable work shoes

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than

8 months?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than

8 months?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I walk with Meindl. Picked em up at Cabela's. I need comfort and they fit the bill. They are walking shoes. I don't think they would hold up at a construction site.

Reply to
Thomas

You expect anything from Payless to last more than a week?

For a working shoe, I'd probably buy a lightweight hiking boot. I wore them in an office environment for years. It's almost impossible to find shoes that fit my feet and hiking boots were the closest I could find. Expect to pay upwards of $150, or even more, for decent ones, though. I wear New Balance shoes now, since I can sometimes find them to fit (6E).

Reply to
krw

The Lotus Veldtschoen I bought in England in 1976 were built to last and still give good service (resoled 3 or 4 times.) The Dexter brogues (US made, approx. 1986) are almost as comfortable and almost as good. Prices approx. $100 and $25 at those dates so far as I remember.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Yep. Anyone who goes cheap on shoes is a fool. Have them custom made, if necessary.

Likewise. OTOH, don't wear them too long. Now, being on a fixed income, I tried to stretch my last pair till the tops wore out. Never happened. The soles were worn out, though. Being a geezer, I thought it was old age that was causing my knees and hips to ache so badly after a walk. Wrong! It was my shoes. Heel wear had changed the pronation so much, they were crippling me. I finally bought a new pair. Bingo! Still took 6 mos to heal the damage the old pair caused. Now I buy a new pair every year, whether the old pair appears worn or not.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I agree with the lightweight hiking boot. We have to wear work boots, I chose a lightweight Danner, and replace them about every year. Not cheap, but you can't put a price on your feet.

Reply to
Gomba

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:kQxNr.708526 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

[snip]

Next time you want to post the same thing in two or more groups, cross-post it instead of multi- posting. (If you don't understand the difference, Google it.)

I answered you in the other group.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yep. My late FIL usta say, spare no expense on your shoes and your bed. It's where you spend 2/3rds of your life.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'd say you should have at least 2 pair of shoes and wear them alternately. Particularly if leather, they need to dry out and will last longer. I only wear running shoes, New Balance, etc and buy on sale seldom paying more than $40. I see tradesman like plumbers in them too. Back when I worked in the lab, steel toes were mandatory and we got free shoes. Today, these are the only dress shoes I still have but are tough to wear all day.

For more ankle support, when I hunt early season, I have a pair of Cabelas hiking shoes which are also water proof.

SAS are all my wife wears casually but they are ~$100/pair.

Reply to
Frank

Join the Air Force. Best shoes I ever had. When I left, I bought 4 pairs of shoes. They lasted for years. Chuck B

Reply to
Chuck

I'm glad to hear that you found a brand that works for you. Now days, consumer goods tend to be total junk.

.

I walk with Meindl. Picked em up at Cabela's. I need comfort and they fit the bill. They are walking shoes. I don't think they would hold up at a construction site.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's the advantage of cross posting?

I can add news groups to my reply, easy enough.

.

Next time you want to post the same thing in two or more groups, cross-post it instead of multi- posting. (If you don't understand the difference, Google it.)

I answered you in the other group.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Would Scandanavian Air Service have shoes?

.

Is there an SAS location near you? Their products have a good rep for durability and comfort. They're on the pricey side, but not jawdroppingly so.

Art

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:xqFNr.183795 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

  1. You need to post the article only once, instead of multiple times.
  2. Replies to cross-posted articles are, by default, also cross-posted to the same groups as the original article. A reply to a multi-posted article is posted only to the one group in which the original post appeared and the reply was made -- which is why you can't see my post recommending shoes for you in *this* group, and neither can anyone else. If you had cross-posted, you'd be able to see it here.
  3. It eliminates the useless downloading of identical articles. If I read a cross-posted article in one group, my newsreader knows that it's "read" for *all* groups in the cross-post, and won't download it or display it to me when I read the other groups. That's how I knew you had multi-posted instead of cross-posted: when I saw the same article here.
  4. Since all replies to a cross-post are visible to anyone reading *any* of the groups in the cross-post, you're more likely to get useful replies to a question if you cross-post it.

You *should* have added them to the original post.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hell, if he can't even bother to quit top-posting what makes you think you can teach him anything else about netiquette (or that he would deign to be considerate of other readers)????

Reply to
dpb

My working/hiking/hunting boots are the Katahdin Iron Works Boots from LL Bean. They are comfortable, rugged, waterproof and made in the USA by RedWing. That's the good news.

The bad news is they cost $200, but they will last you for a very long time. For the last five years I have worn mine every day of the week for just about all occasions, except for marryings and buryings, and I'd guess the soles have another two years left before needing replacement.

Your boots are your personal interface with Mother Earth and a good pair is a wise investment.

Here's a link to the LL Bean site -

Diogenes

The wars are long, the peace is frail The madmen come again . . . .

Reply to
Diogenes

That's gonna be pricey!

My knees don't need broken shoes to complain. I wear them for about a year (two pairs) or maybe a little more, then rotate those down to mowing the lawn (one pair) and working around the house (the other). I should replace one pair now but I can't find them now (they have to be black).

Reply to
krw

I wore Vasques for years, when I couldn't find shoes that fit. I still have a few pair but they're really too hot for me, down here. They were great when we lived in VT.

Reply to
krw

On 7/18/2012 6:01 PM, Oren wrote: ...

I've had him mostly blacklisted for quite a while--I only see responses, not his postings routinely...

--

Reply to
dpb