Another refrigerator question

When I'm working in the kitchen, I'm often reminded of a long quiet pause in the fridge. It will also make little cracking sounds. I never had to think about it much, but figure why they decided to rotate the defrost cycle around the clock, something like add or subtract 1 hour every day. Why didn't they just use a 24 hour setting ?? I think they had a reason.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

And the reason. If it defrosted every day before mealtime, that probably is not a good idea.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The mechanical defrost timer I've seen, are all set in fractions of 24 hours. 6, 8, or 12 hours. I think it would make much more sense to use an odd number, so the defrost times are different, each day.

My Dad mentioned to me one time that the family fridge went into defrost at exactly the time he went to dinner. I advanced the timer a bit, so it was different time. But, an odd number hours on the timer would have been better.

.

When I'm working in the kitchen, I'm often reminded of a long quiet pause in the fridge. It will also make little cracking sounds. I never had to think about it much, but figure why they decided to rotate the defrost cycle around the clock, something like add or subtract 1 hour every day. Why didn't they just use a 24 hour setting ?? I think they had a reason.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First update.

On the second repair visit, the tech placed an order for a new CPU unit. In the intervening days, a package arrived from GE's parts warehouse.

On the appointed day, a different tech arrived (I was no in the house that dya) and told the family that the first tech had ordered the wrong part (it said "inverter unit" on the box). Freezer temperature now hovering about 20 and, for the first time, refrigerator temp consistently above set point too.

They shoved the list of things to check (suggested here) under his nose. He removed the back wall of the freezer compartment to reveal the condenser encased in ice. So it's a defrost problem - suggested here - and we noted the temperatures are highest on the days with the most humidity.

More parts ordered - return visit sched for tomorrow (Tuesday 7/24).

Reply to
Mike S.

Encased in ice, would be the evaporator. The condensor gets hot. Other than that, it's progress. At least you have a general idea what's going on.

.