Another Kitchen Stove Vent Q - Advice Sought

Pictures posted here
http://www.nctimes.net/~pray/House.htm
This is a custom hood enclosure for a 'power vent' (Imperial C2000BP1). I've framed out the enclosure (see pics). My plan is to sheath the frame with a thin lauan ply, then cover with 1/4" drywall. This takes care of the sides.
I'm left with exposed wood on the underside, with two empty 'pockets'. (visible in first photo). I'm leery of leaving the woodwork exposed directly above the stove (distance of 28-29"). And would like to close these two 'pockets'.
I'm open to suggestions...
Drywall the bottom clad it in stainless steel other?
Thanks!
Rick
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

My vote wold be copper. Not as easy to maintain but it sure would look wonderful there. Hammer it first.
--
BetsyB