Another Cable Network Question

Assuming the only data transfers are thru the modem. When I upgraded my home LAN from 10 to 100 Mbps, the difference between computers was astounding. Now I can go to gigabit and can't imagine why I'd want to go backwards to wireless.

For some people, it makes a difference.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I'm not assuming, just reading the OP's posted requirements. There are many reasons to choose various technologies over others. I'm not debating which is better, only whioch makes the most sens for the situation in question.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

I did. Just trying to give him the pros and cons of both options.

So do I. Only one Windoze machine for the Grandkids games, but twice the total number of boxes (Not including three laptops). They keep the house toasty in the winter...

LittleJohn Madison, AL

Reply to
LittleJohn

Wrong again. You're assuming you fully understand the op's requirements from an extremely limited bit of information. You gleaned from his messages that he wants more than one computer connected to the internet and he knows little or nothing about networking.

If the only consideration is ease of installation, wireless is the way to go. If cost, reliability, speed, or security are major factors, a hard wired local LAN is the answer.

There seems to be no doubt in anyones mind, but yours, which is the least expensive, has the highest reliability, the highest speed, and is the most secure. I suggest that a hard wired local LAN is the only solution "whioch makes the most sens for the situation in question."

LittleJohn Madison, AL

Reply to
LittleJohn

While I'm (mostly) on the wired side of the argument, nobody here can say that wired is cheaper than wireless. Sure, the hardware is cheaper, but you cannot account for the cost of installation of a wired LAN without knowing if the person asking is capable of doing the wiring and install, or what the layout will be and what kind of house they live in. (Having done my own wiring in both a ranch house and a three-story Victorian -- I know which I would rather re-wire.)

Bill

upgraded

There

requirements