Another Cable Network Question

Page 2 of 2
Jeff wrote:

Wrong again. You're assuming you fully understand the op's requirements from an extremely limited bit of information. You gleaned from his messages that he wants more than one computer connected to the internet and he knows little or nothing about networking.
If the only consideration is ease of installation, wireless is the way to go. If cost, reliability, speed, or security are major factors, a hard wired local LAN is the answer.
There seems to be no doubt in anyones mind, but yours, which is the least expensive, has the highest reliability, the highest speed, and is the most secure. I suggest that a hard wired local LAN is the only solution "whioch makes the most sens for the situation in question."
LittleJohn Madison, AL
While I'm (mostly) on the wired side of the argument, nobody here can say that wired is cheaper than wireless. Sure, the hardware is cheaper, but you cannot account for the cost of installation of a wired LAN without knowing if the person asking is capable of doing the wiring and install, or what the layout will be and what kind of house they live in. (Having done my own wiring in both a ranch house and a three-story Victorian -- I know which I would rather re-wire.)
Bill

read the mans requirements. Personally, I have wired and wireless in my house. 3 windows boxes, one linus and a Sun server...
LittleJohn wrote:

Jo wrote:

I did. Just trying to give him the pros and cons of both options.

So do I. Only one Windoze machine for the Grandkids games, but twice the total number of boxes (Not including three laptops). They keep the house toasty in the winter...
LittleJohn Madison, AL
My prejudice: I'm a wired ethernet guy. Maybe I just like running wires, etc.
My internet (dsl - but that 's no different) comes into the basement to my adapter and router. Then it's up into the attic via conduit and conduit runs all around the attic, out near the eaves and away from the the electrical wiring.
Since your users are across the hall, you can't just to the "through the wall or closet trick." If you put in RJ-45 jacks in each bedroom and get them lined up on the same joist space, the fishing job for the wires wouldn't be too bad. And you dont' need electrical boxes, just use mud-rings. (It's kind of scary to think you can actually get all this stuff at home depot.)
However, all things considered: I would usually recommend wireless. Unless you are spooling video off a server to multiple rooms, you will never use up the bandwidth of newer wireless standards. As far as Internet traffic - your cable is nowhere close to the speeds you'll get on you own network. But you hardly need that speed to share a printer. Make sure you keep up with all security precautions! (My friend works for a big consulting firm: she is specifically prohibited from having her work laptop on a wireless network at home. She went with a "phone line network" which has worked ok. You can also do a network over your regular house electrical wiring.)
In my experience, getting the networking to work properly with the two operating systems and each other will be more difficult than than physically setting up the network. If both of the machines are running the same o/s, you'll have a head start.

For the very brave, there is a new thing going on where you can get wireless network over the eletrical lines. no gear in the house at all. Security must suck. my neighbor uses it and likes it.