An unusal event at Radio Shack

Page 1 of 2
I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate. So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)
So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not only that he found the correct device and tested it for me. Maybe hell has frozen over, ;)
Dick
Dick Adams wrote:

Someone wins the lottery every so often!
DA had written this in response to http://thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/An-unusal-event-at-Radio-Shack-263670-.htm : Dick Adams wrote:

Sure there is no point to go there for an advice. You've got to know what you are looking for when you walk into a RS. However, when was the last time you could get a valuable advice at any other large retail chain store? Those stores have pretty much become free showrooms for other online retailers. I am always guilty of checking the stuff out at Best Buy/ Comp USA and then actually buying it at tigerdirect.com . I guess, as their earnings drop, they loose people that can actually provide any advise at all. Something's gotta change in the world of electronics retail...
\\//. -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 252274 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

http://thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/An-unusal-event-at-Radio-Shack-263670-.htm
I've looked at tigerdirect, and always thought their prices were way high.
Bob

You thought right. The last place to consider, in my buying... -- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
On 04 Nov 2007 17:16:52 GMT, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

[sig snipped]
I wish I could go SOMEWHERE for advice, like you used to be able to. I wanted to find out about using a TV antenna here (for a particular ATSC station). No, calling the station is not OK. It's 35 miles away and I was wanting LOCAL advice.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote: ...

For us, that _is_ local... :)
Actually, for the same questions last February when I was in the need to replace the ice-broken antenna, I did call the station and talked to one of their engineers. Along with that I was having a problem w/ a new low-powered station competing with them and he had some useful input--plus, in this particular instance, I think that put the bug in their ear to go after the offender as they seem to have disappeared since...at least, they no longer seem to be broadcasting w/ sufficient power to interfere w/ the alloted channel in the area... :)

And astronomers will call some stars "local".

Mark Lloyd

Try asking a TV repairman. (If you can find one)
Bob
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:08:35 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Radio Shack bashing needs to be countered.
Radio Shack through out the years even when higher priced have always stood by electronic hobbyist and been a source of electronic parts. Keeping the stores stocked with low profit per space parts should be commended. Most retail outlets can't be bothered by including such parts in their inventory. You'd be hard pressed to find a local source for a two watt non inductive resistor but Radio Shack will have one, even if the guy behind the counter doesn't know what it is.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote in (Dick

You have a good point. Sortta like an old hardware store huh? :-)

As long as the one they have is the value you need, great. I've rarely found that to be the case.
Bob

I agree. Without Radio Shack, every little component a tinkerer might need will cost at least a shipping fee, probably UPS (and a wait). When I need something small like a relay or a photoresistor, I wind up at RS. While I'm there, I like to browse. I'll examine their toys & their accessories, and maybe flip through their flier.
Radio Shack can't last forever the way it's going, but I hope it survives in one form or another. ... and I hope they start paying their store managers a living wage!
Only once in the last ten years or so have I had a bad time at a RS. I walked into one -- a different store than my usual -- that the manager had turned into his own personal 'hip-hop' studio, and I was an intruder. Generally, the 'help' isn't much help, but I already know exactly what I need, and in many cases I'll already have the Radio Shack part number on a piece of paper.

The local RS has Internet Kiosk<sp> . Check the web site, while in the store. -- Oren
"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

There is absolutely nothing even the slightest bit interesting that can be made using RS parts. They haven't had even a slightely useable stock since the 70's.
RS is OK for toys, cell phone accessories, and batteries, and little else.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

What year is it in your neighborhood? Around here, the RS stores have dropped most parts from shelf display, and the selection in the catalog isn't much better. Almost nothing for the hobbyist. Basically a cell phone and toy store now- along with no parts, almost no shortwave/CB/scanner stuff- you know, the 'R' in RS?
Glad your store is still serving your needs. I go in the ones around here maybe twice a year, and usually leave empty-handed and wondering why I bothered. One has already gone belly-up, and as empty as the parking lot always is at the surviving stand-alone store, I'm pretty sure the 3rd one in the mall will be the only one left within a year. Like a lot of niche retailers, some marketing mistakes on their part, combined with easy access to oddball stuff on internet, and competition from big-boxes for disposable stuff, has made their corporate future very iffy.
aem sends....
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:17:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I used to go to RS for that purpose a lot 20-25 years ago. I would get their catalog every year (no internet access then) and would go in for specific parts (by catalog number). That worked OK, I knew a lot more than most of the sales people did.

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

If it were unfounded, I would agree with you.
Back in the days of Iron Men and Wooden Ships, Radio Shack was a godsend for tinkerers. That continued through stero equipment and TRS-80's and then it ended about the time Tandy computers began to decline.
"You have problems. We have answers" has become a joke.
It's become "You have problems. We'll sell you something and hope you don't return it."
Dick

It certainly did when I went to a RS a couple of days ago, wanting advice.

Mark Lloyd