Amana Refrigerator/Freezer not cool

I have a Amana side by side refrigerator/freezer, both side was working fine before I leave on vacation. While away on vacation something happen and now both refrigerator/freezer is warm which cause all my food to spoiled. After a quick inspection of the evaporator coils I did not see ice buildup. Infact the only thing is running is the fan in the back of the refrigerator. There is light inside when I open the door so I know there is power but as for cooling down....nothing. Anyone know what might be the problem or do I need to get a new side by side?

Thanks!

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

Let the refrigerator run an hour or two and inspect the cooling/evaporator coils in the freezer and post the frost pattern....no frost at all, 1/2 frosted 1/2 bare, ball of ice, completely frosted over, ect....

The fan in the freezer or the fan underneath the refrigerator? Is the compressor running?

Some simple things to check....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

My Amana top/bottom refrig/freezer all of a sudden stopped working. Light was on but the fan didn't kick on when I opened the freezer. I ended up vacuuming the bottom grill and underside all out and halfway through that, the thing kicked back on...

Reply to
Howard Moss

Hi,

The compressor was probably shut down on it's built in safety, if the condensor fan motor cannot circulate the air properly across the compressor the compressor will shut off on it's safety/thermal switch to protect itself.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi,

The compressor was probably shut down on it's built in safety, if the condensor fan motor cannot circulate the air properly across the compressor the compressor will shut off on it's safety/thermal switch to protect itself.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Jeff; Is there a "reset" button/switch for the compressor in a situation like this?

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Jeff; I let it run for at least 4 hrs. still no luck. No frost on the evaporator coils.

The fan underneath the refrigerator toward the back. I change out the "defrost timer" thinking that is the culprit but nada.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Hi,

No "reset" but if the compressor shut off on the overload/thermal protector it is beside the start relay in a box on the side of the compressor. If the compressor got w a y too hot it may be cooked open. Can you hear the compressor running? Usually makes a vibration if you put your hand on the compressor when it is running.

None of which sounds good for the refrigerator!! Shopping time!?!?

Defrost timer would be more for an frost build up ( cooling/evaporator coils )the the coils where all frosted over or for the defrost timer stuck in defrost cycle and nothing would run.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff