Amana Ignitor

I have an Amana gas furnace that uses a Robertshaw 41-401 ignitor or equivalent. When the furnace was new the ignitors lasted for several years. For a good while now, though, I have been burning them up at a high rate, as many as two per year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the reliability of my ignitor system? Thanks! Nate
This is Turtle.
Well when a person say the ignitor are lastinmg a very short time. i think of one thing first off the bat. when you install the ignitor you touch the the element with your fingers. Here is the operator life when touching the elements.
just rub the element across your hand lightly. 1 years it goes out.
hold it by just two fingers for a second. 6 months it will burn up.
hold it with your hand and the element touches your skin more than 15 seconds. It will burn up every 1 to 3 months due to the degree of oil off your hands that gets on the element.
If you don't touch the element at all , it should last about 5 to 10 years.
TURTLE
thanks but I am always very careful not to touch the element
Could be too much voltage to the HSI ignitor element. Could be you are not getting first quality parts. Is the HSI touching anything besides the mounting bracket?
Stretch
Thanks Stretch, the ignitor is free and clear. As for quality, I have been using Robertshaw parts which I have been told should be good quality. The controller was replaced a while back, so the voltage does seem like a possibility. How do I find out what the voltage should be to the ignitor? And if it is too high, then what? Thanks again. Nate

Your original post isnt showing, but depending on the controller, you may have a unit that is under recall.
We have replaced several Robershaw controls over the years that are covered under it.
Contact your local HVAC licenced contractor to look into this for you as most supply houses that can handle this for you, will not unless you are in the trade.

Aren't the Amana ignitors "bullet-proof"?
This is Turtle.
Amana was saying they was going to the round hard as steal type , but has not went to that type yet. They are still using the flate and breaks when the wind blows on it type still now. There is a new ignitor out that will stand up to being driven into a 2"X 4" but i'm still waiting for them to get to my supplier.
So the answer now is no but maybe in the future be yes.
TURTLE