Alternative to Renting Light Towers

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:30:34 -0500, The Daring Dufas

After the band practice, they could have a Klan meeting.

It sounds like you live in a rural area (as I do). In your situation, what we would do here is cut down a number of cedar trees and strip them into poles. We would plant the number of poles we need around the field in appropriate locations, and then mount lights such as this (Amazon.com product link shortened)80283783&sr=1-5&keywords=outdoor+flood+light+fixtures
on the poles, with a wire running down the pole to a 3-prong 120v mail plug such as this (Amazon.com product link shortened)80283955&sr=1-13&keywords0v+3+prong+male+plug
then all you need is a generator or two with extension cords. I don't see how you can avoid the generators.
I wonder if fluorescent lighting would be better than high intensity filament? More energy efficient.
And if you use the right laundry soap, those Klan robes will be whiter than white. Not necessarily a bad thing for Klan rally.
On 9/27/2013 5:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@bubba.com wrote:

On 9/27/2013 4:04 AM, snipped-for-privacy@bubba.com wrote:

Which Klan? There are thousands of them. ^_^
TDD
Might turn into both?
I have a couple concerns. First, the 12 volt DC lights probably more expensive than 120 volt AC lights. (You know, it is so much harder to manufacture DC filaments...)
The batteries also promise to be a huge expense. Golf cart batteries may be more forgiving. Designed to be driven around, and deep discharged by golfers. Trying to sneak in another nine holes on the same charge.
The wiring for 12 volt will be heavier cables.

Put in permanent lights and buy a generator. You can use the generator for other things.

Why don't they just practice during the day?
On 9/26/2013 9:04 PM, sms wrote:

on it, used, with only 500 hours on it, for $2000
On 9/27/2013 3:47 AM, RBM wrote:

We'd do that, but I've been unable to find any used ones for sale.
On 9/27/2013 11:27 AM, sms wrote:

16 x 75 watts is 1200 watts. Since you mention four batteries,I'm guessing you figure to set up four lamp poles with four lights each.
4 x 75 watts is 300 watts. At 12 volts, that makes for 25 amps. I guess you could run 10 gauge copper wire, that's not too awful.
I remember from some where, it's not wise to discharge trolling batteries lower than 50% at most. So, the 90 AH batteries would provide "about" two hours of run time before damaging the cells.
If you rigged a cable from the trolling battery to the battery (charging system) of a running car, you could extend the light time, a LOT. Might not run till you were out of gas, but it should extend the runtime.
Sounds like a fun project. Hope you tell us how it all works out. I'd still be thinking in terms of gasoline generator, some how.
On 9/26/2013 9:04 PM, sms wrote:

On 9/27/2013 7:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If we got 90AH batteries they would actually be about 50AH at the discharge rate we're doing. So that'd be about 600WH so we could do 300 watts (4 lamps) for two hours.
We'd run one cable for every two lamps, so 12.5 amps per cable.
Two lamps would be on each tower, and each battery would power two towers. However we might decide to use smaller batteries and have one per tower.
We need to be able bring them out to the practice field as well, which is a long way from the band room, so we'd need to put them into one of our golf carts (one battery powered one gasoline powered).
We'd like to avoid gasoline or diesel powered generators. Batteries we can charge for "free."
The school district is too cheap to pay for permanent lights.
They can't practice in the daytime.
We also have the option of buying some generators and getting AC powered lights. This may be a better option just because there is no need to have someone maintaining all the batteries.
On 9/27/2013 11:38 AM, sms wrote:

different charger, different than vehicle starting batteries. And if the detail minded adult doesn't hook up the charger every night after practice, the second night, the battery goes below 50% charge, and damages the battery. Seems risky, to me.

they are rented. Sounds like you're trying to decide if you want to buy and maintain your own equipment. I think in the long run, the "own the equipment" can be cheaper.

Use that money to rent a lit practice field?
On 9/26/2013 8:04 PM, sms wrote:

I would call your local professional/wholesale electrical supply company and have a chat with them. Their sales force may come up with helpful ideas.
BTW, have you contacted the local electric utility to find out what it would cost to run power to the field? Is that something you could do, if the billing went to the band association and not to the school district? Or would the district be willing to foot future electric bills if your group paid for the installation?
...snip....

That reminds me of the power situation with the scoreboard for our Varsity Softball field.
I was in charge of using some state grant money to purchase a scoreboard for our district's Varsity Softball field. Since my 9th grade daughter would be on the varsity team the following year, I was thrilled to be able to purchase a scoreboard for the team. The scoreboard arrived and I started talking to the Buildings and Grounds department about running power to the field and getting the scoreboard installed.
Well, it turns out that a major capital project was in the planning stages and they weren't sure that they wanted to run the power in case the softball field got moved. "Let's wait until next year when the plans will be complete."
Next year comes and I find out that not only will they be moving the field, but the new field won't be complete for another 2 years - the year after my daughter graduates.
To add insult to injury, the new pool building was going to be built right where the existing field was and that construction was starting right away. So, not only didn't my daughter and I get to enjoy the scoreboard that I bought, she didn't even get to use the Varsity field for her last 2 years of high school. They had travel to the middle school for practices and "home games". No dugouts, no bleachers, etc. Very disappointing.
In the end, the scoreboard was installed at the new field and has been in service for a couple of years now.
On 9/30/2013 12:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Oof, that's a great story with a highly annoying outcome.
I was thinking of a situation in my hometown many years ago. Back in the 70s when tennis became all the rage, the township reluctantly built a few tennis courts to meet demand. It took no time at all for them to become occupied from dawn to dusk, so then people asked for lighting. But with the limited parks budget, the council was reluctant to invest much more in the tennis courts. They finally installed coin-operated light towers. It was hilarious. You'd be working on a killer set when...blink, blink - the lights would flicker, a five-minute warning that you needed to feed in a couple more quarters.
On 9/30/2013 11:23 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

'no good deed goes unpunished' comes to mind

That is hilarious!
I don't know where your hometown is, but where I grew up it would have cost the parks department more to fix/replace the vandalized coin boxes than they would ever had made on them.
On 9/30/2013 1:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

compassion.