Alternative to Renting Light Towers

Page 1 of 2
The marching band at my son's school needs lights for the practice field. We've been renting lights for about $2600 for five weeks, not including fuel for the generators. This is for two 4000 watt lights (4 x 1000W bulbs).
We'd like to find an alternative, even if we have to spend three-four times as much as five weeks of rentals cost. We don't actually need 8000 watts worth of light. We need lights for two hours a day, two days a week. There is no electricity available at the practice field.
My idea is to purchase sixteen 4000 lumen 75W 12V HID flood lights, four 90AH deep cycle batteries, and eight 18' light towers. This would cost about $4000. The batteries would probably need to be replaced every 3-4 years.
I was looking for some other ideas on how to do this.
On Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:04:17 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

el for the generators. This is for two 4000 watt lights (4 x 1000W bulbs). We'd like to find an alternative, even if we have to spend three-four times as much as five weeks of rentals cost. We don't actually need 8000 watts w orth of light. We need lights for two hours a day, two days a week. There i s no electricity available at the practice field. My idea is to purchase si xteen 4000 lumen 75W 12V HID flood lights, four 90AH deep cycle batteries, and eight 18' light towers. This would cost about $4000. The batteries woul d probably need to be replaced every 3-4 years. I was looking for some othe r ideas on how to do this.
Park automobiles/trucks in a circle around the practice field and use the c ar/truck headlights.
On 9/26/13 8:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Inverters for the vehicles to power the tower lights? Generators with super muffler systems? Used RV generators?
With a good vehicle and maybe a trolling battery in series with the starting battery, that might work. 12 volt lights will need some hefty cables, lot of amps. When I'm a bit more awake, I'll run some numbers, and see how that works out.
Never know, might get by with two batteries instead. Who can tell?
My ETQ generator, 1200 watts, is quiet enough I can stand next to it, and have a conversation with it running. Hondas are better than that.
On 9/26/2013 10:50 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

They did that on one episode of MASH.
My gut sense is that the marine battery route might work. Need to find someone who is competent to charge them correctly. I've killed a marine battery by leaving it on a Harbor Freight float charger, which dried it out and it never came back to life.
I wonder if a couple halogen lamps from Harbor Freight, and one or two small gasoline generators would do the trick? Have the advantage of being backup power for someone during the next power cut.
You're using generator and lights on towers -- so buy your own?
On 9/26/2013 9:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

On 9/26/2013 10:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Get every member of the band and their families to get a free LED flashlight from Harbor Freight, dismantle the lights, put the LED and reflector assemblies in several frames, wire them up and power them off a few car batteries. ^_^
TDD
I hereby wish to nominate this as post of the year. Do I hear a plus one?

Get every member of the band and their families to get a free LED flashlight from Harbor Freight, sell them as a fund raiser and buy the $4K worth of equipment that you have been looking at.

I thought we'd give each kid a 500 lumen LED head lamp.

Duct tape one of these to each kid's head. That ought to be enough light.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/chauvet-q-spot-560-led?pfm=sp
On 9/27/2013 10:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The old spotlights for the theaters were arc lights as were movie projectors. The LED's are bright enough for theater spotlights now but I wonder if some projectors are using LED's as a light source. I seem to recall movie theaters getting movies in digital format now so I wonder what those projectors are like? Oh well, a backpack for the power supply and an arc light tied to each kid's head might work. ^_^
TDD

I went to a high-school football game a few weeks ago and I'm thinking they had an LED scoreboard. I'd never seen a scoreboard that bright before.
As it got darker, it got to a point where the lights were so bright that it was hard to see the permanent writing on the scoreboard (Quarter, Down, Guest, etc.) The lights were so bright that they drowned out the white writing.
On 9/27/2013 9:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

newer billboards are all led.
On 9/27/2013 9:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

that are illuminated with led strips. a single strip about 6' long throws out an incredible amount of light, that can be seen for 1/2 mile or so and downcasts a large area of light. it uses multicolor leds (red/green/blue) each of which can be turned on/off to cast different colors, and white-ish when all are on. it has to need less power requirements.
quick google searches
http://www.gelightingsolutions.com/Signage/id-1200/Tetra%C2%AE_PowerStrip http://www.signlightingworld.com/Pages/RSLEDModules.aspx
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:58:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Digital theater projectors use the TI DLP technology. Basically, they shine a light at an array of micro-machines mirrors which direct the light either to the screen or somewhere it can be absorbed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing#Digital_cinema
I don't believe LEDs aren't bright enough for theaters, though LED sources are used for smaller projection monitors. I imagine theaters use some sort of HID light sources.

Yea, I remember when the TI DLP tech was used in a lot of TV's and was a lot more preferable to the plasma sets because the bulb could be replaced in the DLP set if it burned out but if a plasma set goes bad, you're screwed. Now we have an LED-LCD set at the house replacing a wonderful old 57" Sony rear projection TV set that had an expensive failure. The repair to the Sony would cost more than what we paid for the new 55" LCD-LED set and I can pick up the new set by myself. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:59:06 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It's my understanding that the plasma TV sets had a superior picture to the earlier LCD sets but if the plasma tube died, it would be more expensive to replace it than the price of the same model TV which would invariably fall to on a clearance sale as the newer models arrived. At least the florescent light can be replaced in an LCD set if it goes dark. I remember replacing dozens of 25" color CRT's with a rebuilt picture tube back in the good old days and there was even a local company rebuilding the darn things and a friend of mine ran a shop that rebuilt mechanical TV tuners. It's hard to find a TV shop these days as the sets have become less expensive which cracks me up since I ran a TV shop back in the 1970's where we were selling a Sanyo 19" color CRT mechanical tuner set for $300.00 and people were buying us out on a regular basis. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 00:08:03 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Oh, hell no. They're all about the same cost to replace.

Nobody fixes these things (out of warranty) anymore. Upgrade to the latest model.
On 9/26/2013 8:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

It's for a marching band practice, not a gang fight. O_o
TDD