Alternate electric charges

Alternate electric charges. Are they a good deal?

Is this just in Maryland or is it some or all other states, that the electric company has been forced iiuc to buy electricity from other companies and customers can buy from those companies but get billed by Baltimore Gas and Electric, or whatever is the usual local supplier?

Anyhow, one of the salesmen for an alternate company Palm Electric or some such name, called just now. This is the second time.

I asked him what rate he was charging but he wouldn't tell me until I got my electric bill. Finally, just as the bill was appearing on the screen, he told me my crrurent rate is 8.8c/ kwh and he want s 7.9c.

That's a little more than 10% less although only on the kwh part which is less than 2/3 or fhe bil. Still, it would have made the bill $4 less.

But the guy was annoying, presumptuous, and I didn't like him, so for that reason alone I said no. Plus I need to ask you guys, etc.

Can I count on the alternative supplier being cheaper in the long run?

When this choice first came out, the supplier that BGE already had (itself?) and was pushing was actually the cheapest.

I presume this goes back and forth, and if everyone signs up with the alternative, their price will go up and the others' prices will go down. I can't keep changing my supplier every 6 months. At least I don't want to.

Reply to
micky

There are good and bad ones. The good ones have a fixed rate for a period of time, no cancellation fees and lower rates than the utility.

Sleazy ones have a low teaser rate then screw you after 3 months with very high rates, high cancellation fees.

Consolidated Edison, Dominion, Spark Energy seem to have some of the better ratings. Check them out an decide. The state may have a list of suppliers to choose from.

Here is CT the utility rate is .126, but I can buy at .089 to .109 fixed. Saves a few bucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've switched both gas and electric suppliers almost annually, depending on the plan each is offering. I prefer fixed rate contracts with a 12 month duration. Some providers provide multiple plan options, some with shorter/longer durations and some change the rate every month pegged to the market price. I suggest you do some web research on the specific companies you're considering. Check their own web site as well as better business bureau, state attorney general's web site etc. and make an informed decision.

Reply to
Peter

For now I'll assume the guy was calling for one of the sleazy ones. (In part because he called me, and in part because he was annoying, telling me, Get your bill. Get your pen and write this down. Refusing to give me his rate until I had the bill in front of me. He was otherwise polite while he did it, but I think it was all in all, impolite.

But just like my friend gave me one question to ask (What's your rate?) you've given me more questions, like how long is the rate guaranteed for? What is your cancellation fee?

And of course since nothing he says on the phone will I be able to prove, I'll have to skip all these phone salesmen.

They sent me one once. They probably have to send one every year, and probably have the list on the web. The trouble is they also send lots of junk mail, like Buy a new AC, Get your new smart meter. Come watch us lock in stocks the people who refuse to get smart meters.

That's 2 or 3 times the difference he was offering.

Reply to
micky

This sounds like too many choices.

Much too much effort described here. Thanks for reminding me.

Reply to
micky

I already save money almost everywhere, and indeed it does add up. But after talking to you guys, I think I'm going to skip this one.

(If it was a one-time change, that would be easy enough, but if it's going to go back and forth for whatever reasons, too much trouble.)

Since I can't rely on any "promises" made over the phone, I'll probably tell the next one to call not to call again.

Thanks all.

Reply to
micky

Since no one I ever talked too was happy with alternate suppliers. i just stick with the suppliers supplier.....

heck a bunch of communities got together and got screwed...... they killed it as fast as they could

Reply to
bob haller

Yes, that is why it pays to shop around. Plenty of options and different prices, fixed and variable. ;On the news a few weeks ago they were talking about how people sign up for low teaser rates and then get hit hard after a few months at rates much higher than the utility standard. To the tune of $10million a year. Get with a reputable company and you will be OK.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Two words: convenience cost.

In short, my time is worth more than I'd save with that amount of screwing around.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Your time is worth a lot. I have 30 minutes of time invested and I save at least $15 a month for the past 3 years. $540 saved for 30 minutes time.

Congratulations that you can think of $540 as trivial.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am asked about this frequently by my customers. These companies buy powe r from the same places as your utility company at the same rates. They try to knock a few micro cents off by keeping their overhead down. However fo r them to make any kind of money they must do a tremendous volume of busine ss. They are nothing more than billing companies. Your current utility w ould still service the power lines. I have seen these companies come and go . My sister told me that one of her friends is now selling discounted powe r on the side and has become annoying due to sales tactics.

I suggest that you contact your current utility and see if they have any pl ans that work for you. I have time of day service where my rates are very cheap at night and on the weekends, but very high during the day. This wor ks for my household.

John Grabowski

John G

When people call me to sell something, I HANG UP! I do not give them ANY information about myself, my bills, my family, not even my first name.

If I want to buy something, I CALL THEM. Uf tghey call me AFTER I call them, that's OK. I invited them to call me!

Getting to the "meat" of this message, I never heard of anyone getting an alternate electric company. The wires are coming from the company that supplies my area, so how can I change companies? I think this is the same for landline phones and natural gas. I cant see how I can choose these companies, when the wires, phone lines or gas pipes are FROM a particular company.

But I'm going to ask if this is possible, and how does a person locate other "legitimate" companies. If this is possible anywhere in the US, I really want to dump my electric company. I hate the company I have. The people are all assholes and they charge for every goddamn excuse they can use to screw their customers. On top of that, they are the highest priced company in the state, which I was told by the state energy board, whom I've contacted several times with complaints about the elec company.

So, I'd change in a second. How do I google alternatives, or look in a phone book, etc? (If it's possible).

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I can't comment about your area. Where I live, the power company's web site has a list of alternative providers.

I made several calls. One company gave me their rates which were lower than the company I was with. Turns out to be about $100 per month cheaper during the winter. I switched, and waiting to see the next power bill to see if there is really that big a saving.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In PRNY, they call it an "esco" or energy supply company. I've forgotten where you are, but including ESCO in your search field may help.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

.

There are alternate suppliers here in NJ too. I get solicitations in the mail all the time. The fact that Jerr isn't would suggest that there may not be any in his area. I guess it depends on the state utility authorities. And I would think googling for "alternate energy suppliers" together with the state and/or name of the power utility would find them if they exist.

I doubt he's missing out on any big savings. The power is about 1/2 the bill and as others have noted, the difference in rate isn't huge. You might wind up saving 5% or so, which still could make it worthwhile I guess.

Reply to
trader_4

I switched, took several weeks to take place. Last month $287.93, this month $157.12, some due to milder climate, and some due to the switch. In either case, I'm pleased. YMMV.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It appears this is only allowed in these states:

  • District of Columbia * Illinois * Maine * Maryland * Massachusetts * Michigan * Montana * New Hampshire * New Jersey * New York * Ohio * Oregon * Rhode Island * Pennsylvania * Texas

Jerry.Tan

Is Direct Energy doing business down there too? Up here people have all kinda problems with them. Most of them regret they switched to Direct Energy. They may be under different name down there.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks. Good to know. (For a while it looked like I'd have to order new fence rails from Montana. )

I was a lot more polite to these guys than to the ones calling from Microsoft to rid me of viruses, etc. They're pushy and presumptuous but not doing anything illegal and might actually save people money.

Reply to
micky

I don't recognize that name. I was on Energetix, and switched to Noco.

Thank you for the head up.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon