All you macho guys will like this:

micky

Can you find me in this picture?

Stormin Mormon

you're the one with the ass crack showing, right?

Reply to
Pico Rico

I'm a bowhunter and most of these pictures are BS. You'd have to have a camo pattern for all types of weather and vegetation situations. The manufacturer picks the best situation for his particular pattern. Fact is that deer have poor eyesight. Break up your silhouette with any pattern and don't move and they won't see you.

Reply to
Frank

Poachers, trying to hide from the warden. If you want to sneak up on deer, try not to fart, grow a mustache so they won't recognize your face, leave your old CDs at home, and wear a color they can't see, like this gentleman.

J Burns

I wondered about that myself.

That too.

Poor things. Maybe the EFFD can help. (Eyeglasses For Forlorn Deer)

Good to know. When the snow was deep, a deer ate my new cherry tree bark last year. Not quite enough to kill it, but I'm not going to take that lying down this year.

Reply to
micky

J Burns wrote in news:m4r9ne$9f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And in fact they don't see orange. When I hunt public land, I wear coveralls similar to those, and several times deer have looked right at me and have given no indication that they were aware of my presence -- as long as I don't move.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Naah, that's a flashlight in my back pocket that got bumped on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're over analyzing this.

I expect that the deer saw you perfectly well, but realized that you weren't close enough to be any immediate threat to them. The deer don't understand what a rifle is, so as long as you're far enough away that they can escape if you approach them, they're not threatened by your presence. It's the same with any wild animal. They're perfectly content to see you keep your distance because as long as you're far away, you're no threat to them.

Reply to
nestork

When I lived in Vermont, I often saw deer as I went about my business, until the day hunting season started. Then, I probably wouldn't see a deer except far away, unless I sat still. In hunting season, they were gone if they spotted my shape. Where humans spotted colors, deer saw only shape and motion.

Reply to
J Burns

Deer's sense of hearing and smell make up for poor eyesight. Deer are pests around my house. Winter is worst as they will eat most plants. Bucks will rub the bark off a tree with their antlers but usually don't eat bark. Rabbits will and often eat bark off small trees that are deep in snow. Wrap will solve rabbit problem.

Reply to
Frank

You're right. If a deer makes your presence it will normally run off until it can no longer see you. When they are not threatened in areas like parks they may just ignore you. When my chestnut trees are dropping nuts, a few times I got within 20 feet of them yelling and had to throw something to get them to leave.

Something else is that deer are familiar with their environment and if something is out of place they won't go there. Heard of a hunter putting a blind in a field where deer were traveling and did not understand why deer did not come near him when they could not see him. They saw the blind as a strange object and avoided it.

Reply to
Frank

Piss on it. Human urine is supposed to keep deer away from things like that. Best to face away from the neighbor's window when applying the deer repellent though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doesn't work . The only thing I had any success with was a mix of milk , eggs , water , and some cayenne extract . I added some fish emulsion too - apparently if you keep this stuff on the trees the protein smells will keep them from eating it because they don't eat protein . They still nearly killed my orchard , and may have killed one cherry and my peach tree . This winter some wire cages are going up around them . With holes too small for their noses to poke thru . Poetic justice , one of the two marauders is now in my freezer ... hey , I fed him all summer , it's only right !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Depends on how long the blind is there . Mine went up a month before the season opened - last year . I've made a few changes , but by now it's just a part of the terrain .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I think eaten rather than rubbed because there very little or none lying on the snow. When the snow melted, there was none on the ground.

There were deer tracks and dog tracks in the snow but no rabbit tracks. There are no homeless dogs around here, they all get fed, so after some thought, I've come to the conclusion it was a deer.

It was only damaged above the white coiled wrap, and for the rest of the winter, I put a second one on above that. I took it off in the summer to "let it breathe" but it still looks terrible. Still, winter is here and I'll put it back on today.

(A couple days later, after the damage, I looked out the back 2nd floor window and saw a dog running around my back yard, in the snow, but he didnt' go near the tree, and this was before the wrapping was added. He was tried and acquitted of eating my bark.)

Reply to
micky

A good idea. Can I just do it now or do I have to wait until it snows?

Terrible. When will they learn to respect property rights. Was this when the other food was covered by snow, or will they do this any day?

Reply to
micky

nestork wrote in news:nestork.eb72348 @diybanter.com:

At under twenty feet, I kind of doubt that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Works for me! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Hmmm... I hate the hassle of indecent exposure charges, but I have a spare pump-up sprayer...

Reply to
J Burns