Air purification for furnace-A/C-air handler

I just droped 2K on 12 Seer 3 ton unit.(gas furnace/evap cooler/condensor). In hindsight I was wondering if I should have installed Purification system along with it. The 1400 cfm purification unit runs about $450. Since system is allready installed, should I just let it go, or is installation after the fact reasonable. (smoker-need something).

...also what is a TROLL?

Reply to
<j_richard

Depends on you. If you are sensitive to dust or air borne allergents, a purifier may cut down on those things. If you are not very sensitive to those things, changing the filters regularly or using special filters are probably enough.

Reply to
borgunit

Check out some of the better MERV 12 filters for residential HVAC. There are limits to what you can do for residential air systems, but a good quality MERV 12 filter is an economical start.

Oh, and 3M's purple filters failed to meet MERV 12 during independent testing, so they are now saying MERV 12 isn't important!!!

The bottom line is particle filtration efficiency. Active "purifiers" don't filter particles. HEPA is not realistic for most residential installations. Smoke is mostly ultrafine particles (sub-micron).

Reply to
PPT33R

I am not sure that the term "Purification system" has a specific meaning. If you mean one of those UV systems, then that would only be needed if you are having a problem with living organisms like bacteria. Smoke is a fine particular problem. Is smoking the only problem? In what ways is the smoking a problem?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Duct mounted high efficiency filters can clean the air of things like smoke and dust without degrading system performance significantly, depending on the filter. The 1" thick pleated and washable filters remove more dirt than standard filters, but reduce airflow by an average of 10 to 20 percent. The 1" high efficiency filters also get dirty faster than standard filters, so their resistance to air flow increases fast. They should be replaced as often as standard filters, not three months as stated on the filter package. They should be used only if your airflow has been measured by a high accuracy device like a flow hood and found to be adequate.

UV lights don't do anything for smoke but can kill bacteria and mold spores. I have had limited success with UV lights, some brands are better than others.

A TROLL is someone posting something ridiculous or mean, trying to get a rise out of other group members, but not interested in serious discussion. For instance, $2,000.00 seems very cheap for a new furnace, indoor coil and condensor, even at 10 SEER. Did you get it used? Or did you pay additional to get it installed?

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Nicotine patch?

A troll is a person who writes something inflamatory. Designed to get an emotional response. The imagery is being in a boat, and trolling for fish. The rebuke given to one who responds is "take the hook out of your mouth".

See the separate post "field guide to forum trolls".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon