Retrofit radiant heat

Hi all:

I have a 2600 sq ft 2 story home built in 1846. I also have cast iron radiators in both floors, which are the primary heat source. We have an oil fired boiler which is five years old & 87% efficient att last measurement. We would like to convert to radiant floor heat as we have total access to the underside of the first floor. Anyone have experience/advice on retrofit of a radian heat system in older homes?

Randy

Reply to
Randy Bishop

Do a cost analysis on Ng to elect usually Elect is much more costly by

2.5x for me
Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Beeper

Oh my heavens!

You got ripped off!

You are one of the few ones that didn't have a problem with them. Go to the Wall

and put 'Vermont company' and 'radiant company' in the search function. Look at the responses.

Radiant heat is the best, in that statement you are very correct.

measurement.

Reply to
HeatMan

Randy,

No one can tell you how possible it is to install radiant unless they look at it. Is your house heated with steam or hot water(radiators can be either)? How well insulated is it? And so on and so forth.... Go to the Wall and ask at

IMO, you need to find someone that knows what they are doing. Go here and find one:
Good luck!

Reply to
HeatMan

Ripped off? In some ways you are probably correct. I wasn't familiar with the systems but I wanted one. Once I saw the manifolds they sell you I realized I could have done my own thing. 5 300 ft lengths of 1/2 pex tubing was right on with what I could buy around here. But the local heating supply company's didn't want to bother with you if you weren't a contractor. They told me that. So I thumbed my nose at them and bought out of state. If what you say is true then I feel pretty lucky because I had great service from radiantcompany and haven't had a problem yet. Their tech did tell me to put

Reply to
Beeper

Reply to
Beeper

That's cheap. Most would charge $50 an hour.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You were one of the lucky ones. If you needed any tech support, you would have been SOL. Besides, did you Vermont company (or you) run a heat loss on your place? [no]

One of the benefits of radiant is lower water temps.

Reply to
HeatMan

Ed, that still doesn't scratch what I would have charged, but hey, as the poster said he accuses all of us HVAC guys as being thieves. Heck if what we are is thieves whazt he heck is McDonalds with 4 times the Mark-up on material as HVAC contractors. I truly resent the remark as all of us being thieves. Beeper you can contact me off group if you would like a list of all of our costs and overhead.

How long did it take you to install? What do you make per hour at work? How much does it cost your employer to employ you? How much are your unemployment and workmans comp rates, how much is you business insurance, how much are your licenses and permits, how many trucks do you have to keep ion good shape and operational, uniforms, tools, bad debts, what kind of profit margin (after taxes) do you think we really make, what standard of living do you think we deserve.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Reply to
Beeper