Air Conditioner Outside Condenser Cover Question

High,
Live in New England. Lots of snow in winter.
Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.
Do most folks put a cover of some sort over it in the winter ?
Or, just let the snow and rain fall thru the grill on the top and to the bottom ?
Was wondering, if a cover is used, about condensation, etc.
What do most folks do ?
Thanks, R

I've been debating this one for my new a/c.
The current plan... a simple lid with no sides. The lid will sit on some 4 by 4 by 4 inch spacers placed on top of the unit to ensure the whole thing remains fully ventilated.
I'll probably just tie down the corners of the "lid" to deal with any wind issues.
I'll just use available (or very cheap) materials.
I figure this will provide some weather protection without locking in any moisture or creating an attractive nesting place for any critters.

Follow what the contractor told you. And any warranty.
If you get really nervous in the winter lay a sheet of plywood on the condenser grill.

Often, dealers may try to sell you a custom cover that envelopes the entire condenser. Covering the top is your best bet to prevent moisture.

Hundreds of millions of people do nothing. The moving parts wear out long before corrosion becomes an issue. I have one that 20 years old now and it's got a bit of rust here and there but nothing worth bothering about. Unless you live on the coast and then the salt gets them while you are using it anyway.

Exactly. If it sits in a place where something can fall on it, like a huge icicle, put a piece of plywood on the top, but leave the sides open for ventilation.

I have a 'gable roof' lid I put on mine. Not for rain/snow, etc. but to keep crud out of it in the off season. If I didn't have that it would be full of leaves.
Harry K
Bob wrote:

Then a metal box on top of that just because I had the metal around and needed some spot welding practice. Cut a hole in the plastic on the house side under the eave so it could breathe. Keeps all the pine needles out in the fall/winter.
And a big sticker on the breaker reminding me not to turn it on without removing the cover.
Lay boards (trashcan cover?) over the top. Couple rocks on the boards. Leave the sides open. Remember to uncover before using the AC.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus