air conditioner in brick wall

Hi, I have a one story brick house in NYC. I want to cut a hole in the brick wall to install an air conditioner. It is a small room (about 9'x13') so the a/c will not be too big. I need information about cutting the hole. If I assume a hole about 15" - 18" wide, will I need to install a lintel to support the bricks? I believe that it is a double row of bricks. Could anyone suggest a reference on installation techniques or provide a description of how to install a lintel. Thanks Doug

I'd reccomend taking this to a mason, but if you're dead set on DIY, here's a site where someone was doing the same sort of thing (only for a sliding door: smae priciple tho, just a bigger hole) http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id `242
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two devitations to get cool.

Huge cost difference though isn't it?
2x to 4x more than a window unit but only a little more than a floor unit with a hose that goes out the window and you still need a place to put the equipment outside.
In any case, the OP should use a diamond blade on a skill saw to cut the morter and bricks, then chisel the rest. He may also need to put a header at the top of the opening to support the wall above it depending on the exact location and construction (Like you would in framing any door or window).
The split systems also tend to be a bit bigger often requiring 220V to power it. Another thing to upgrade before you can cool off.

First step is to be sure there is nothing in the wall that will be cut. Wires, plumbing, heat ducts, etc.
Mark out and cut the brick using a circular saw with an abrasive blade for masonry. You'll need to do the corners with a chisel and hammer. I'd drill hte four corners first so the brick does not split past where I want it to.
The lintel can be a simple piece of angle iron with side support. Given the hole size, it is not a huge feat. In my old house, I cut the hole under a window and use a piece of wood for the lintel as it was only supporting two rows of bricks.