Air conditioner compressor costs

Hello,
Our office has two air conditioning units. The one which is in the basement cools adequately the basement and ground level. The 2nd floor has an air conditioning unit which is failing. We had a repair guy come out here yesterday to basically put a "patch" on the unit to keep the thing running. I forget what it was called, but it was a kit added to the compressor. He said the compressor is failing. How much do these typically cost for a unit which can cool a floor that is about 500 sq feet. It is manufactured by Friedrich Air Conditioning Company and is a model #VEA18K34RTA.
Thanks Mike McWhinney

a new unit. - udarrell
If it's a window or wall AC, you pitch it out and buy a new AC.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.