Air Conditioner Choice

Page 1 of 2
Once i have found a competent installer, which brand central ac do you recommend? What brands do any HVAC boys have in your homes. I will have the installer replace everything that needs to be replaced. The previous owner had a Bryant plus80 gas furnace installed about 6 yrs ago. My current sick ac is a 30yr old 3ton Amana. Bang for the buck. Just like everyone else, I'm looking for value for money spent. Oh, what media filter do you recommend, Honeywell, AprilAire, ?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bang for buck along with good quality, is: Goodman. They are the second largest residential hvac supplier in the nation. I installed a 92% Goodman furnace in my own home 2 years ago along with 13 seer A/C unit ..and both have worked flawlessly. Goodman doesnt do all the advertising that Carrier , Trane, And Lennox does...so, you save alot in advertising . Frankly, i think Carrier is over-rated , Trane is a glorifed G.E. unit, and Lennox isnt anything special. I think they have the public duped with their relentless advertising .
If you want a pleated 6" thick filter media, go with either Spaceguard 2200 or Honneywells version. Both are good.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JustCallMe Norman) wrote in message snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3233.bay.webtv.net

You just dont have a clue, do you? After installing your own equipment, perhaps you'll tell us how you measured the Total External Static pressure and what it is. Please tell us what the pressure drop is across your evaporator coil and also your filter. Post the total supply air and total return air cfm's you've measured, and how many btu's your 13 seer system is ACTUALLY delivering. Post for us the amount of btu's your furnace is REALLY producing, not what's listed on the furnace nameplate. If you had even the tiniest of clues, you'll post for us what the System Efficiency really is, not the number stamped on the box. You can't because you dont have a clue.
Change your name all you want Dave. You're still a hack.
Add pictures here
βœ–
'Bang for buck along with good quality, is: Goodman. They are the second largest residential hvac supplier in the nation. I installed a 92% Goodman furnace in my own home 2 years ago along with 13 seer A/C unit .and both have worked flawlessly. Goodman doesnt do all the advertising that Carrier , Trane, And Lennox does...so, you save alot in advertising Frankly, i think Carrier is over-rated , Trane is a glorifed G.E. unit, and Lennox isnt anything special. I think they have the public duped with their relentless advertising . If you want a pleated 6" thick filter media, go with either Spaceguard 2200 or Honneywells version. Both are good.' You just dont have a clue, do you?   After installing your own equipment, perhaps you'll tell us how you measured the Total External Static pressure and what it is. Please tell us what the pressure drop is across your evaporator coil and also your filter. Post the total supply air and total return air cfm's you've measured, and how many btu's your 13 seer system is ACTUALLY delivering.   Post for us the amount of btu's your furnace is REALLY producing, not what's listed on the furnace nameplate. If you had even the tiniest of clues, you'll post for us what the System Efficiency really is, not the number stamped on the box. You can't because you dont have a clue.
ME: I have a VERY good clue on whats going on ; i dont need to tell you all the things such as ESP , Evaporator pressure drop, et al.... I did a load calculation on my home, looked at the duct system carefully, and i selected equipment size based on that ; it works flawlessly like i said. Too bad if i hurt your feelings concerning Trane Brand --- it is nothing but overpriced junk. The last couple Trane furnaces i installed were problematic right out of the box. Nothing but glorified G.E. complete with whistling draft inducers , over controlled furnaces , very special OEM parts, and a near retail price for me as a Contractor. They are nothing but Marketing Pros who dupe the Contractor and the Consumer from different angles. At least Carrier offers a Steak Program when you get duped by them !
Add pictures here
βœ–
He is a much better technician and human being than you can ever hope to be.
Fred
On 01 Jan 2005 00:53:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comp.mil (go fish) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Pisssssss Fred , Dave here is suppose to be a hvac tech or business owner in the trade and he had to call another hvac service company out to his house to tell him what was wrong with his system and he had a dirty filter. He got pissed off because the fellow or hvac service company charged him $85.00 to tell him he had a dirty filter. He was also ask for his company name and info and the company he give was not recorded no where in Illinois as he said. He does not have a Business operator permitt in the town he lives in and no company in that town with his name on it.
Fred , Well Ok what ever.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
<<<Change your name all you want Dave. You're still a hack>>>
That is SO true....Ya gotta wonder why dave needs to change his name every few weeks..Is he trying to hide something? Like his stupidy? Or maybe he think's he so smart in fooling everying who doesn't catch on to him in less that one post? FOAD dave ya uneducated religious webtv troll
Add pictures here
βœ–
uh-huh...

Despite the installer.

Wow, the inbred moron got something right!

Another one right, despite the poor spelling.
Seriously, go with what your contractor recommends. 99% of the time, he's handled the line for a while and knows the equipment.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Consumer Reports Jan 2005 rates Goodman as the lowest quality equipment. Furthermore, they say that the installation is important, but the quality of the equipment is also important.

Add pictures here
βœ–
'Consumer Reports Jan 2005 rates Goodman as the lowest quality equipment. Furthermore, they say that the installation is important, but the quality of the equipment is also important.'
ME: Consumer Reports Oct. 1998 rates Goodman as one of the top 3 manufacturers and suggests (inferred) that you go with them. Since Goodman took over Amana and they came out with a whole new line of hvac equipment, the quality and performance is absolutely equivalent to Carrier or Trane . Ive installed all three brands over 30 years.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The main problem with Goodman over the years was their policy of selling units to anyone off the streets. This means that some hack with a little knowledge of soldering will install the units (improperly!) and then the customers can't understand why the units crap out after only a year or two.
WHO is installing it is more important than WHAT you are installing.......
Add pictures here
βœ–
'The main problem with Goodman over the years was their policy of selling units to anyone off the streets. This means that some hack with a little knowledge of soldering will install the units (improperly!) and then the customers can't understand why the units crap out after only a year or two.'
ME: That doesnt discount Goodman Equipment quality, especially as of late. I think it is a good alternative to Manufacturers that load in marketing and advertising dollars into their equipment . Goodman uses Copeland Scroll compressors in 12 seer (??) and above..and they use copper condensor coils for greater durability. Plus they have a huge wholesaler network across the nation which is a plus.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I agree. Their new units look pretty "classy" AND they are now offering "lifetime warranty on the life of the compressor" (for the original owner). They are relly trying to improve their image. True, Goodman doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of some of the premium brands, but they aren't all that bad,...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hey DavePedophile!
read on....

Rheem uses scroll compressors in all their equipment.

Rheem does too.

Like you.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
What was the name of the hvac company installer you hired to install it for you?
Hey Dave How you doing ?
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is Turtle.
Most all their testing is the 10 seer models and I would not have the 10 seer goodman on nothing I install. Now I will say the 13 and 14 seer Goodman now days is good but furnaces are still lacking too. I will say this Consumer Report is for a customer who is picking a brand out of the blue and a hack installing it with no knowledge of quality. This is the only way Consumer Report will be worth anything.
TURTLE
Add pictures here
βœ–
Well at least dave has been leaving the real HVAC guys alone in their group and sticking to giving out his usual half-assed "info" to the people in here who don't know any different....
Ever wonder why he needs to keep changing his webtv name as ofter as he changes his shorts?
Add pictures here
βœ–
dtbray wrote:

I can't offer you much advice for the AC unit, but I would suggest using the better lines of the 3M Filtrite(sp?) filters and not bother with special media filters.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
βœ–

As for which equipment, you answered it in your first comment, what ever your competent installer recommends! Don't worry about the brand so much, just make damn sure you get a great installer. I have a York furnace, and a Goodman AC, the furnace has cost me $6 in 13 years for repairs, the AC nothing, but then I installed them both, so I know they are right! As for filters, April Aire, Air Bear are popular. I do not like electrostatic filters, nobody services them like they need to. Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have a Amana, it is great.
Happy New Year ...