air conditioner

I 've got a small window unit in a bedroom that keeps icing up if you try to run it on anything but high. I'll turn it down at night then it will wake me up at with some funny noises and I take the front cover off and it;s covered with ice, and there's no cool air coming out because the cooling radiator is blocked with ice. Does anybody have a suggestion?

-- Rob in the U.S.A. no matter where you go there you are

Reply to
Rob Mcgee

Hi,

A copy...

**Air conditioners are not meant to be operated if the inside or outside air temperature is below 70°F. If this happens, ice will form on the evaporator coil and will restrict air flow possibly burning out the fan motor. If the temperature is suppose to drop during the night, set to thermostat to a warmer setting to allow the compressor to cycle off when necessary to avoid icing up.**

Restricted air flow ( drapes, ect ) dirty unit ( needs steam cleaning ) can also produce icing on the evaporator coils.

Try turning the cold control down a but at night as well than just the fan speed.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

does the compresser ever go off??? if not then it could be the thermostat sticking and that might be one of many things that is going wrong and its freezing over...

Reply to
jim
1.) Restricted air-flow.......(dirty filter or coil) 2.) Bad thermostat.......(not cycling compressor on/off) 3.) Last is the refrigerate charge........(leaking and low)

Your welcome. :-)

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaw.............

Low refrigerate charge can and will freeze a coil there sir.

If, you haven't seen one....you're not in the trade!

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

Bull...a low charge will freeze that sucker solid....and completely...havent been doing this long have you?

Reply to
CBHvac

thank you for all your suggestions It gives me some places to start.

-- Rob in the U.S.A. no matter where you go there you are

completely...havent

Reply to
Rob Mcgee

Rob Mcgee wrote

Does the only icing only happen at night or during the day too?

If only at night, this quote from my site's Helpful Tips section likely applies:

- Air conditioners are not meant to be operated if the inside *or* outside air temperature is below 70°F. If this happens, ice will form on the evaporator coil and will restrict air flow possibly burning out the fan motor. If the temperature is suppose to drop during the night, set to thermostat to a warmer setting to allow the compressor to cycle off when necessary to avoid icing up. -

BTW. If the cause was a refrigerant problem like someone else suggested, the evaporator (cooling) coil should only *partailly* frost or ice.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi Jim, hope you are having a nice day

On 03-Aug-03 At About 04:42:00, Jim Caldwell wrote to All Subject: Re: air conditioner

JC> From: "Jim Caldwell"

JC> One of two possibilities come to mind. Low system charge is one. See JC> if it putting out air at around 50 deg or so on a hot summer day.

Please don't spread false info. an RAC ( room air conditioner ) should have a delta T of 18 to 25 degrees. so if the air going in is 75 the air coming out should be 18 to 25 degrees colder. in this case 60 to 50 degrees. it is not a set amount as you state here.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Kent, hope you are having a nice day

On 03-Aug-03 At About 07:57:17, Kent wrote to All Subject: Re: air conditioner

K> From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Kent)

K> a low charge won't ice thow WHOLE coil.

Yes it will.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Dan, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Aug-03 At About 05:03:31, Dan O. wrote to All Subject: Re: air conditioner

DO> From: "Dan O."

DO> BTW. If the cause was a refrigerant problem like someone else DO> suggested, the evaporator (cooling) coil should only *partailly* DO> frost or ice.

Not quite correct Dan. the whole coil can freeze due to a low charge.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2