Air Con Leaking problem

I have an air conditioner leaking water on to my ceiling. The unit is up in the attic and I had someone come out to take a look. He said the evaporator coil and horizontal coil needs to be replaced. The drain pan was all rusted out at the bottom also (not sure if that's a separate thing). Anyways, I was quoted $1800 to have it fixed. This seems rather high so I'd like to get your opinion. Note that I know nothing about ACs.

The air con is a 3 ton unit, and I see in the notes that the existing coil model # is 6H365 36000, followed by what looks like "BtPayne" (not sure what that is, can't read the sloppy handwriting).

Can someone give me some advice on this, such as:

- Is this price too high?

- The drain pain, is that what the coil is referring to?

- What brand coil should I get? I've read some reports about flimsy coils that will break in a few years, and I don't want that.

Reply to
Shabam

Depending upon access, etc. this could be a very reasonable price. Brand isn't going to matter nearly as much as how well the job is done. If you want to insure against premature leakage then just remove the system. All brands are susceptible to formicary corrosion and rust. One preventive measure is to keep the condensate assembly clean, another is to keep up with the air filter. Dirt on a coil can release corrosive agents and catalysts.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

That's about what I paid for a replacement.

Reply to
User Example

How's the unit working? If it's working great, I don't know that I'd jump at getting it repaired. The immediate problem is the drainage onto your ceiling - that may create some big problems in the future if you don't get that stopped. Consider stainless for the material next time since it doesn't sound like the galvanized lasted long.

Reply to
Chris

yes. may be just replace the drain pan . couple of 100$.. mine was rusted, but the technican used some compressed air and blew out whatever was choking the drain pipe. now it doesnot leak anymore. even though it shows signs of rust.

Reply to
jkutti2000

A tech said he will replace the pan with a plastic one from some company named Payne (sp?). Is this a better solution than a metal one?

Reply to
Shabam

A tech said he will use a plastic pan. Is this better than steel? Are there downsides? He mentioned some brand named Payne (sp?).

Reply to
Shabam

Yeah... that will give him another 5 years to save the extra couple of thousand to replace the system under the 13 SEER rule

Reply to
Noon-Air

Plastic won't rust. Payne is cheap builder grade Carrier

Reply to
Noon-Air

lol - I thought about plastic after I sent my original. Plastic would work fine too - some polys hold up better in inclimate weather than others but it's a less expensive solution than metal these days. Sounds like the estimated work approaches a new unit so if your existing one has life left in it, you might as well get the bang for the buck and run it until it fails. I've had a WIDE variety in experiences with service guys too though so it may pay to have another company take a look and give you an estimate. One company I am familiar with sells way more compressors than they need to, for example.

Reply to
Chris

So I guess that's good?

You mean it's low quality? What would be a better brand?

My air conditioner is about 13 years old. The guy suggested I should replace the inside unit and the outside condensor (3 ton) for $3,000 total. It will be Payne. Is this reasonable?

Reply to
Shabam

My air conditioner is about 13 years old. The guy suggested I should replace the inside unit and the outside condensor (3 ton) for $3,000 total. It will be Payne. Is this reasonable?

Reply to
Shabam

Reply to
Chris

Many techs get commissions to sell new systems.

If your air conditioner is working OK (and not leaking refrigerant) and the only problem is the water in the ceiling, then consider having a contractor just repair or replae the drain pan. For a few hundred $ you might be able to get another five years or more out of the existing system.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

| > Many techs get commissions to sell new systems. | >

| > If your air conditioner is working OK (and not leaking refrigerant) and | > the only problem is the water in the ceiling, then consider having a | > contractor just repair or replae the drain pan. For a few hundred $ you | > might be able to get another five years or more out of the existing | > system. | | Yeah... that will give him another 5 years to save the extra couple of | thousand to replace the system under the 13 SEER rule

Maybe just have a drywall contractor come in every couple of weeks to replace the ceiling for another 5 years or so? I don't think they take a commission and I'm sure if he set it up on a recurring contract they would give him a good deal and wave any commission they might have had. :-)

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

You might check into the ratings done by Consumer Reports for the best brands, but keep in mind that you can have the best of the best in equipment, but if you have a bad install, you got junk.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Once again, if the coils are not leaking just repair the pan. Plastic is fine. Looks like you are in southern California...costs are higher there but about $300 should do it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

You might check into the ratings done by Consumer Reports for the best brands, but keep in mind that you can have the best of the best in equipment, but if you have a bad install, you got junk.

Reply to
stevie