After market car window tint

Page 1 of 2
Hi, My kid's car was purchased second hand and it came with the tinted windows. One day cop gave him a warning for it being too dark which is cause for ticket. Anyone has an experience removing this tint films? Was told to remove them from two front windows(driver, passenger side) TIA,
On 5/11/2012 8:27 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

google is your friend. there's plenty of info on how to remove it. you do need a glue remover to get the last traces off if it's been on there for a while and is old glue. you can get it at places that sell the film (checker, etc).
your state has regs on how dark the tint can be on front windows, and you can get new tint that meet your laws.
back windows can be darker than the front.
On 5/11/2012 10:27 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

a wallpaper steamer would probably do the trick. Short of that, a razor blade scraper will do.
I'd remove it from ALL windows. There is no need for that shit.
--
Steve Barker
Tony Hwang wrote:

The cop is probably wrong.
Check your state regulations or visit a window-tinting salon (is that what they call them?) for the straight dope.
The window-tinting shop may very well have a device that can measure the degree of tint and compare it to the laws in your state.
On 5/11/2012 2:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:

It's _possible_ the officer is wrong, but I'd certainly not say "probably" purely on the posted info. Are they too dark for the driver/passenger to be visible? If so, that's undoubtedly too dark with or without a measurement. I'd venture he's had enough experience to know which tickets issued will/won't stand up if challenged.
dpb wrote:

Likewise I wouldn't say the windows were "too dark" without knowing the state involved.

When the officer comes up and can't see the driver, it's TOO dark.
Greg
On 5/11/2012 10:53 PM, gregz wrote:

Typically no heybub drama is involved. Typical motor vehicle code:
"No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle."

Of course one doesn't know if this advice is any good without knowing the state involved.
On 05/12/2012 10:17 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

But it's easy to find out what the state's requirements are (although I think Tony later posted that he's from Alberta.) Apparently *no* tint is legal on front door windows in Alberta, so removing the film is the right thing to do in this instance. From what I see the rear sides and rear windows can remain tinted, if you like. I was trying to find a reference but in the 45 seconds that I searched, I could only find secondhand info.
For those of you in the US - this might help
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws /
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Thanks for the link. In my state, as I suspected, the permissible degree of tinting is objectively measured (must allow more than 25% of Visible Light Transmission).

Yeah, I found that on the web, too. I was slamming "george's" moronic post.

That all depends on the state, doesn't it?
Steve

Most of what I read, 70% light transmission is close to what standard cars have, meaning can't put anything additional in front side windows.
Greg
wrote

On my 2006 Dodge Ram, the driver, passenger, and front window are of a different tint shade than the back windows, and that is legal. Factory install. The back windows are noticeably a little darker if you stand back, but not too much so.
Steve

Police here in CT carry something to check them. You can also get a certificate showing it meets standards for the state http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CT /
On 05/11/2012 06:23 PM, dpb wrote:

Possible, also possible is that the tint is "pretty dark," the car is somewhat sporty appearing and/or has other aftermarket mods, and Tony's son is in his late teens-early 20's. Either way, giving the cops an excuse to hassle you isn't a good idea, I agree with the plan of going ahead and ditching the tint and then if tint is desired replacing it with something that is clearly not pushing the bounds of legality. Remember if you can use 35% tint but you have factory A/C your windows already have some tint to begin with so your light transmission when the tint is installed will not be 35% if you use "35%" film.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
HeyBub wrote:

Interesting, they actually give a number for that in my state:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws /
I'd love to get tinting done on my car to cut down on the heat in the summertime, but I know I would regret it in the winter, during a rainstorm, and in the evening. I bet personal injury lawyers just love it when one of their clients is hit by someone with aftermarket tinting.
Jon
On Fri, 11 May 2012 17:37:30 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

"aftermarket" tinting CAN be identical to "oem" tinting.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The light restriction values may be similar, but the method certainly isn't.