Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Page 5 of 5
I had a problem with the curve in front of my house also. I started calling 911 whenever one crashed off the hiway after one drunk wanted to fight with me. after a couple of years of this the county did some work and the accident rate is much lower now. I read one of the posts where the people just drive off after tearing things up. Install enough barriers so they can't get out so the cops have time to show up. This can be as simple as a 12" high cement wall. Call 911 first then go out to se what is happening. All ya gotta say is there has been a wreck and send the Calvary. lg no neat sig line

Do the tiller ditch:
Then do the guard rail, but make it far enough back on your property. So that you can put gigantic decroative stones out.
They'll learn not to speed after a few thousand dollar repair bill. What if children were playing out there?
Just my thoughts. I hate wreckless people, especially if there is a chance of a child being hurt, even an adult for that matter.
Refinish King

These folks are not wreckless (sic) ;-)
TB

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:38:20 -0500, "Refinish King"

line. Anything that hits them will remain there until towed away.

Mix a lot of nails with your grass. Won't stop the cars, but they can't drive off either. (: Use galvenized nails so they don't rust away. Or just aprk a bulldozer at the corner.
B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail.net
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/Iraq-LIES/LIES/britt.gif
An old car painted like a police car sitting prominently by the curve may work.
Don wrote:

How about a row of used railroad ties set well back from the ditch? Bury them upright, 4' on center, decorative bevel cut at 8" on the road side, 12" on the house side. Plant Peonies around them for decoration. Any car that goes into the yard will go over the posts and hang up. Removal will require a wrecker and a serious amount of damage to the undercarraige. Gives you plenty of time to get the license number and insurance information to collect damages. Be sure to call the cops every time so they fill out the accident reports.
Don wrote:

Railroad ties are OK if'n you like 'em. The only thing I've found RR ties useful for are homes for hornets and carpenter ants.
Uh, on second thought, maybe every drunk smashing his car into a decorative RR tie barrier deserves to get attacked by a whole nest of pissed-off yellowjackets.
AJS
On 2 Mar 2004 06:16:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Just to put this in perspective, and to illustrate the dangers. This is extreme but did happen, right now, right here in lil ol Perth Western Australia, pop 1.5Mil...full of nice Aussie guys and others.
"Fair go" and all that. No New York "excitement".
Never before.....
We have just had a road rage incident, where a guy's brake/tail lights were only working on one side, and he stopped for a cyclist. Guy behind picked an argument. The first guy pulled into his _own driveway_.
Follower starts an argument about the lights, etc. Argument probably escalated. Then the "plaintiff of the first part" drove down the other guy's driveway, and slammed into his car. The slam made the _'plaintiff's"_ car undriveable (2-3' bending of frontend) ............and incidentally squashed a 2 year old kid between the two cars.
He was running behind the car to see his Granpa.
I hate kids and have none. They are obnoxious little farts. I did not like _me_ as a kid. But they are _innocent_, at 2 years old.
The only good thing to come out of this was that the "plaintiff of the first part" 's vehicle was a screen-smashed mess... at _both_ ends.
The police have said that "as a result of his being removed from his vehicle after the accident, he sustained injuries" (he's in hospital, with the crap beaten out of him), and that "it is unlikely that charges will be laid against the relatives of the deceased". (he deserved it?)
My point is:
Somebody you care about could get hurt. This is important _before_ that happens.
Keep those vehicles off your land, or move. If the shire won't help, ask again. If you lose somebody...or even your front lawn....in this, then you are not at fault.
In a litigious society that I deplore, you are one of the genuine. **************************************************** sorry
.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?
Old Nick wrote:

What are you talking about? Your story might have been compelling, but it is impossible to follow with the "plaintiff of the first part" bullshit without ever having properly introducing the characters.
-Bob

A guy (call him Bob) only had brake lights on one side. He stopped for a dude on a bicycle. This pissed off another driver (call him Paul).
An argument ensued. The guy with the bad brake lights (Bob) went home. The pissed off driver (Paul) followed Bob home, and when Bob parked in his driveway, Paul intentionally slammed his car into the back of Bobs.
Not only did Paul smash up both cars, but he also crushed between them a 2 yr old toddler who was rushing to see his granddaddy Bob.
At this point, Bobs family, (Sue, Frank, Melvin, Harvey, Mary Anne and Peter) drug Paul out of his vehicle, and using cricket bats, blunt objects, hands, feet, teeth and a woomera, beat Paul to within an inch of his life.
Paul is currently in intensive care, where hopefully he will die in screaming agony after a considerable amount of time has passed.
The butchered child remains a bloody smear on the driveway until a putty knife can be found.
The family will not be charged.
Road rage sucks and is possible even in Oz.
Got it?
Gunner
"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
Gunner wrote:

Thanks. I couldn't tell from the original story who ran into whom.
-Bob

All I know is, if I was "Paul" and I survived the beating and got out of the hospital, I would be pleading with a judge to lock me up for a long time and throw away the keys for my own protection, unless I had the money to move far away and totally disappear.
Because "Bob" or his family members, based on their initial reaction to "Paul's" action are not likely to soon forget, or forgive. "Paul's" head would have a bounty on it - and you simply can't put a price tag on the 2-year-old innocent life he took...
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700