Advice requested to unclog a shower stall (75 or 100 foot snake?)

Page 1 of 4
Any suggestions for unclogging a shower drain elsewhere?
A friend called just now with a plumbing problem saying her shower is backing up into the bedroom, so I pulled my old BrassCraft Cable Drum Machine BC-400 out of storage - but it is in sad shape (long story):

The current cable is apparently 3/8" x 75 feet with an aircraft wire core running through the center.

Even my hand snake is in bad shape (probably left outside):

So, it looks like I'm in need of a snake to unclog a shower stall.
For the BC400, I'm wondering if a 100 foot cable replacement would be better than a 75 foot cable; but I don't even know if it will fit.
I called BrassCraft at 877-272-7755 who said to call Cobra at 800-835-2200 and I left a couple of messages earlier today, but they haven't responded.
It's not a big deal, but, if you have experience with either unclogging a shower or with fitting replacing 75 foot or 100 foot cable snakes, I'd appreciate the advice.

Good grief dude! You have a unique knack of making one hell of a project ot of what is usually a simple thing. A 100 ft snake to unclog a shower drain? Even in the largest house, if the shower is the only problem, it's probably in the trap which is almost always within a few feet away, or maybe even before the trap....
I have visions of a long thread with 100 posts, as Danny tries to figure out how to take apart 100 ft of plumbing to get the snake out that is now stuck in the ladies pipes....

And I would add: That it is almost certainly hair that is doing the clogging. Get something that will dissolve the hair if you choose not to put a snake through it.

On Thu, 23 May 2013 14:50:06 -0500, Ken wrote:

Ken, you were exactly on the money!
She's a brunette with very long hair:

+10 :)
On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:10:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Since my friend needed it yesterday, I bought a new 25 foot 1/4" and 50 foot 3/8" snakes from Ace Hardware:

I have very little experience with snakes, but how do you prevent the cable from rusting?
Also, the 50 foot 3/8" cable I bought yesterday did not come with any wire inside - but the original 75 foot snake did have a thick wire inside.
Does it matter if the cable doesn't have that thick wire?

...but he does take (an annotate) some nice pictures...
On Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:10:09 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

You're just realizing this now?
Ol' Danny D is what we call a DIY douchebag. They like to talk a lot and act all bright and cheery while asking the stupidest questions and turning the driving of a simple nail into a 3-day melodrama involving several hundred dollars' worth of tools.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:56:27 -0700, dennisgauge wrote:

I've never heard the term before.

It's my mom's fault. She taught me to be polite & responsive to everyone.
Plus, I've been on nntp since the early 1990s, and I've seen what happens when people get personal - so if it gets nasty, I try to be nice - and if it's still nasty, I just bow out of the conversation or ignore the insults.

Is it really stupid to ask what tools to use to unclog plumbing? Or to ask the technique to get the snakes to go their full length?

It cost me roughly about fifty bucks for the two snakes.
Truth be told, I could have gotten away with only one snake, but, I love to learn things - so I bought the second snake so that I could learn how they worked (since they were so different, I figured I could compare the differences to learn more.
Well, it also cost about $120 for the replacement 75' snake, but that won't arrive for another week (I had lent my drum snake to a friend who accidentally kinked it and broke the cable).
So, you're correct if I add up the total cost for the three snakes; but only two were bought for my friend's plumbing.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Hey, he could be in one of the many OT threads.
At least he's mostly on topic.
Plus he has a great first name.
--
Dan Espen

On 5/23/13 2:03 PM, Danny D wrote:

"shower is backing up into the bedroom" ?? Is water coming up thru the bedroom floor (leak), or is water overflowing the shower pan (clog)??
If leak , good luck.
If clog, go to hardware and get the "Drain-O" type kit that has the red plastic "snake" . It is thin enough to fit without needing to remove drain plug cover.
On Thu, 23 May 2013 15:34:56 -0400, Retired wrote:

The water was overflowing the shower pan.

How dumb is she to let that happen?
On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:35:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

She is a hard-working single mom, who had to take showers to go to work to feed her kids. She pours out her heart for those kids.
She could use the help - so I was glad to try, even though I was clearly clueless myself. Luckily, she cleaned up the mess that I left as I hadn't thought ahead to bring any cleaning supplies with me (where are my pool chemicals when I need them!).
Anyway, the hair clog wouldn't plunge out, but it came out within seconds of inserting the 3/8" snake about 3 feet. I spent more time trying to get the snakes to go their full length (to ensure that I did my best for her).
In doing so, my biggest dilemma was trying to figure out *why* the two snakes wouldn't go anywhere near their full lengths!
I couldn't believe that these 2-inch (or so) pipes wouldn't take a quarter inch snake further than about 10 feet, nor would the pipes accommodate the 3/8 inch snake more than about 3 feet.
What did I do wrong that those snakes wouldn't travel their full lengths?
unclog a shower stall (75 or 100 foot snake?):

Good man. We need a lot more of that kind consideration in this country. There used to be a lot of it, but not so much anymore.
What happened to the kid's dad? Did he run out on her?
On Fri, 24 May 2013 16:46:51 -0500, CRNG wrote:

It's a long story, and it's OT, but suffice to say she put up with way more for far too long than she should have, so, the current situation ... as bad as it is ... is still better for her and her kids (she has them 100% of the time) than the previous situation was.

Most likely you ran into a 90 degree connection, and had got stuck against it. The trick is to have a slight bend at the head of the snake about 1-2" back This does 2 things 1) It helps when you need to get around a T (usually at the standpipe 2) It whips the head around the internal circumference of the pipe and cleans off all the goo stuck inside the pipe.
On Thu, 23 May 2013 15:34:56 -0400, Retired wrote:

Luckily the drain cover popped out with a twist of a screwdriver.
Now that I have my first experience with a shower stall, I must ask how you're *supposed* to twist the darn 3/8" snake by hand?
They give you a handle which I used like this to get the hair out:

But, every time I tried to twist that almost-straight handle, *this* twisting mess is what happened to the cable:

May I ask: How are you supposed to spin that 3/8" cable with that handle without twisting the rest of the cable into a gory mess?

You only have about 6" of snake between the handle and the drain opening. You work that 6" down and then move the handle 6" away from the drain and repeat over and over until things work ok. Patience (and sometime a half-galon of Draino) always wins.

Yes, I agree. I forgot to add part when I responded earlier. I have found that when the snake is advancing easily, that's fine. But, when it encounters a restriction, blockage, or sharp turn in the pipe that it cannot navigate, I have to keep the handle of the snake no more than about 6 inches away from the drain and then turn and push on it at the same time. That keeps the snake from acting like I am pushing on a string (where it just bends and buckles). The rest of the snake is inside the pipe and that helps keep it from bending. So, the idea is to only be pushing on about 6 inches of exposed snake near the drain so that 6 inches is too small for the snake to bend at that point.