Adjustable sump pump switch assembly

Going to help some friends in Arkansa this weekend install some sump pumps.

I am looking for ideas for an adjustable sump pump switch setup that one can adjust for different water levels, handle two different pumps AC/DC, nonfouling with regards to algae/mold and be used to activate an alarm to notify the owners that the pump(s) are running.

Let the designing begin!

Thanks

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

On Nov 24, 11:42=EF=BF=BDpm, Too_Many_Tools wrot= e:

install regular pump and switch, backup battery powered pump with seperate drain line in case primary one gets plugged somehow.

then install some moisture switches to let you know theres a problem.

but at minumum the sump should have at least a overflow line to daylight,

ideally no pump just a nice drain to daylight far away from home.......gravity is far more reliable than any pump

Reply to
hallerb

Search for duplex pump alternator or duplex pump controller. There are several out there with different sets of features.

Here's one example:

Alternates between two pumps, alarms if either of the pumps fail, and alarms on high water. This particular model uses automatic pumps with built in switches, but I've seen other models that use three separate switches, turn on, turn off and high alarm.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

i like the vertical type float switch as shown here in Fig 2

Mark

Reply to
Mark

On Nov 24, 11:42=EF=BF=BDpm, Too_Many_Tools wrot= e:

This probably won't help, but years ago I made a alarm out of a battery operated smoke detector. I needed to know if the electric went off during the night when I was sleeping. I didn't have a generator that would automaticlly kick on, nor a battery backup for the sump pump.

Anyway, I bought a 120v relay from Radio shack and hooked it up to the smoke detector. It would allow the smoke detector to operate normally when the electrci was on, but if the electric went off it would activate the alarm. Really simple and inexpensive to do.

I am sure something like this could be reversed and wired into the pump to show a light when pump starts running.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

The old float switches on the stand type sump pumps meets most of the requirements.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's already designed, and available pre-built or custom-built from dozens of places - it's called a Duplex Pump Control Panel, or you can get one for three pumps called... You guessed it, Triplex.

The good ones have an alternator, so Pump One is lead the first time it starts, and Pump Two is lead the next time - spreads the wear around, so the lag pump won't be frozen up from disuse and rust right when the lead pump wears out from constant running...

They have seperate starters or contactors for the pumps, and all the relays and switches and pilot lights you need, and the alarm sounder and light for the high water alarm. If your pumps are the larger 5-HP and up, they usually have Overheat sensors or Water Seal Failure sensor switches, they put those alarm circuits in the pump panel. Hourmeters to monitor each pump's life, etc.

4 float switches on a Duplex - All Off, Lead On, Lag On, and High Water Alarm. When you have a big pump pit they use the standard 10-amp pear-shaped floats on cords, and strap them to a float stick where they won't get tangled.

For a tiny pit like in a basement, you might want to use the individual miniature hinged float switches like you put through the side of a tank, and make brackets to hold them to the float stick.

Or if you expect lots of debris, you mount the miniature style switches into the side of a large chunk of pipe (roughly 2" ID) so the float ends are totally shielded, and screen the top and bottom and a few other water inlet holes and vents - keep the large chunks outside of the pipe.

They aren't cheap, but reliable usually isn't.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman