Adding roof fan

I saw my father install a turbine fan a while back and would like some help and info on adding one to my mom's garage.
I thought the thermostatically controlled fan would be best.
Is there a template in the box for the hole size? I know I will have to remove some shingles, can they be re-used as I have no orig. replacements?
Garage size is 26 X 30 ft.
Thanks.

Proably, but t hings like that can vary between brands.

Depends. If fairly new, no problem. If older, they will break when you take them off. Thee is always risk in projects with re-use.
Broan has a selection of roof and gable fans that come with templates. Here's an installation manual off their website for one of their roof fans: http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/broan/pdf/InstallGuides/99043055.pdf
You do not need to reuse any shingles, but you do have to cut some out and loosen some up and remove some nails in order to slide the fan flashing underneath. This is done by lifting the edge of the roof ( which if the roof is old you might break the shingle) so you can expose the nail, then you remove the nail with a small crowbar or similiar tool.
Before going ahead with your project, have you talked to several people in your area who have added such fans and asked them what they think?
I have heard a lot of complaints about them. Too many are cheaply made and fail in a short time. Often after they fail the owner does not want to bother replacing them because they failed to make a noticeable difference.
While I am sure that they may well be useful in some areas, especially in a garage application, my personal experience in central Ohio has convinced me not to bother. I had thermostatically controlled powered gable end fan. Everything worked, but I doubt if it reduced the heat more than a degree or two. Not enough to notice. I would not mind having a ridge vent along with lower intake vents in a garage, but certainly a powered vent was just not worth it for my situation and maybe yours.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

As said, if are old and dried out they will most likely break.
- Should you go ahead with this, do it when the sun has been hitting the shingles for some time so they are soft.
- losen the sealing tab by wedging a putty knife in.
- removing a shingle requires you to remove the nails from the row above that and the 2nd row above it. The upper edge for the one you are trying to remove is caught by that 2nd row above. You don't actually have to remove the shingles above, just get the nails out.
- For removing the nails many people use various flat bars. But the thing I have found works best for me with the least chance of shingle damage is....a short handle shingle rake. Nice and flat. Many teeth. Prys at teeth by pushing down at entry point so you are not bending the heck out of the shingle you are trying to remove.
Renailing without a roofing nailer can be tricky. Shingles can get damaged.
- Put roofing cement over all old holes and new ones since you're at it. Also put roofing cement where the old sealing tabs are/were.
Here's a pretty good video on how to install a roof vent. Although this is for a bathroom vent, the principle is the same for an attic vent. You get to see how to slide the vent under the shingles.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gee3itzjOG0

Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

Hi, If I were you, I'd start with a top quality one and get a few spare shingle pieces(even a bundle does not cost much at HD or Lowe) In my case I got hold of a roofing guys doing reroofing in the neighborhood. I aksed them to do it after work for couple bottles of booze. Done well very quickly. Cost? two bottles of Rye.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the advice.
I want to replace some existing roof vents [the non-electric type :-) ] on my mother's house with the thermostatic type.
Will they fit in the existing holes without a lot of modification ?
The roof has a low angle slope. It has blown in insulation.
Will adding heat barrier sheets help much in reducing the heat generation?
Thanks.