Adding insulation to attic

I have about R-19 insulation in attic. I want to add R-30 more. R-30 batts in HomeDepot have paper vaopr barrier. Should I remove it before adding R-30 batts over existing batss to prevent double barrier or I can put them as is?
Buy unfaced insulation, it cheaper.
Are you sure that blown-in insulation won't be easier to use. And check out rebate programs offered by your utility co., county, etc. that will reduce your cost -- and maybe even free, depending on your income.
Perce
On 11/19/05 04:57 pm Sasha tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

your installation won't be perfect enough to matter anyhow.
:I have about R-19 insulation in attic. I want to add R-30 more. R-30 : batts in HomeDepot have paper vaopr barrier. Should I remove it before : adding R-30 batts over existing batss to prevent double barrier or I : can put them as is? : It's interesting lately how many responses posters can receive and sometimes not even one of them will address the question that was asked; at least one asnwered you so far. Sometimes everyone only wants to give a different solution rather than answer the questions. Oh well, that said:
If you use the paper-backed, you should use a utility knife or something similar to slice it open here and there. You don't have to shred it; just a few foot to three foot long slashes here and there will be enough. It might be cheaper, as others mentioned though, to buy unfaced insulation - worth checking on unless it's not on sale like the faced stuff you're looking at now or you need the facing for some other reason like dust containment.
I'll let you be the judge on the other suggestions - blown, etc.. Keep pets & kids away while you're working with it; tough on the lungs eyes and skin.
HTH,
PopS
Check your local utility company for programs. With rebates, it could be cheaper to higher one of their certified installers to blow in fiberglass. In Mass., there's a 50 percent rebate up to $3,000 through NSTAR.