Adding Attic Insulation

I'm planning on adding a layer of insulation to the attic. There's an existing ~6" or so on the floor of the attic, between the rafters. It's old and probably the original.

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original at a 90=B0 angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and between those rafters?

Reply to
mark.wolven

Sure...

or, put a layer up against the roof and between those rafters?

No.

--

Reply to
dpb

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original at a 90° angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and between those rafters?

Adding it over the existing insulation is the way to go. Putting it under the roof will bring up possible problems with vapor barrier and it will increase the temperature of the roof which will shorten the life of the roof.

Note: Take any opportunity to increase the passive ventilation of the attic.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

To follow up on that, I'd suggest the OP replace bathroom fans now if they need to be and vent them to the outside if not already done. Once there's a bunch of insulation up there those projects are not fun.

Reply to
Bob M.

Most sense? Blow in another 8" of cellulose.

check out

for an installer in your area.

steve

I'd like to add another layer.

Would it make sense to roll out another layer on top of the original at a 90° angle to the rafters, or, put a layer up against the roof and between those rafters?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Where did he say the current insulation was cellulose?

Reply to
CJT

Doesn't really matter. Taking the insulation above joist level makes attic useless for storage in any case, so go with whatever is cheapest, which is usually blown-in. It took them less than 2 hours to blow 1400 sq feet for me, including setting the tube things for the soffitt vents. The 50 cents a square foot it worked out to was well below the bids for rolled-out batts. I was afraid of it blowing around and drifting, but so far that hasn't been a problem, even in one windstorm that sucked the hatch cover right off the attic hatch in the garage.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

It does not matter. The blown in cellulose has some real advantages and tends to reduce air infiltration.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

they didn't.

Steve Barker LT

They stuff they used in my house is called "stablilized" They actually spray water on with it, like as if they were doing unfinished walls, (about half as much water though) and it makes it stick to itself. #1. It prevents blowing around, #2. It doesn't settle.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker LT