Ace Hardware

Page 1 of 2
Sign in window (with picture)
"Double ended male 'adapters" are illegal, dangerous, a fire hazard, and possible immoral.' "
http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-hardware-is-tired-of-people-asking-for-double-ended-male-adapters
There are other reasons to avoid male/male plug-ins.
HeyBub wrote:

http://consumerist.com/5123592/ace-hardware-is-tired-of-people-asking-for-double-ended-male-adapters
Double ended male adapters are not in any way "illegal", nor are they in any way a "fire hazard". They can be used in ways that would violate electrical codes, but that does not make them illegal, and not everyone lives in areas with codes either.
AND...... It by far is the eaisest way to plug a generator into a house outlet in an emergency in the dark.

I understand that they are commonly known as "widow makers."
Perce
On 01/05/09 04:30 pm Steve Barker wrote:

I wonder why? <sarcasm intended>
TMT
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:30:35 -0600, "Steve Barker"

    And I hope they happen to know enough to disconnect themselves from the grid before doing that.
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:03:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

For safety, you need one of those special "safety" main breakers. This breaker senses when you start a generator, and trips 5 seconds in advance. Precognitive breakers like this are available at electrical supply houses (not Home Depot) at high prices.

It trips 5 seconds BEFORE you start the generator? Now, that's REALLY precognition cktry!

From the sound of this arm of the thread; I doubt it. Stumbling around in the dark with a male plug in hand?
Twayne wrote:

I do that more often than is probably wise.
If the place I need to plug it would just moan or something, but no, here I am, wandering from room to room, plug in hand...

Damn, guess you need a better partner.

You need to listen for the faint whisper of: "Is it in yet?"
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Hmm. That's a new wrinkle.

If you have to ask...
UHHHH duh, you plug the double in first, then the cord into the generator.

Steve Barker wrote:

hunting for more gas to to top off the generator?
Stuff That Can Kill You (or Others) is no place to take hillbilly shortcuts. Do it right, or do without. If you can't be bothered to make a proper hookup, there is always the old standby of cords through the window, and an old towel to keep the rain from coming in.
-- aem sends...
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 22:40:34 -0600, "Steve Barker"

At night during a storm, when you're wet, drunk, half asleep, and can't find your glasses and the car keys (or that brown fuzzy thing you can't identify but must be really important).

And not allowed in North America or Canada and most parts of Europe. Also, it's nowhere near as easy as flipping a switch on a Transfer Swith. Make a misake with a live plug in the dark and you may be done plugging; forever. Using a house outlet for more than its rated current, such as a generator would place on it, is also a serious fire hazard just waiting for an oppourunity. And since gensets have two 110 outputs, have fun if ou even plug them into outlets on the same breaker - you'll lose your genset and probably some wiring with it, if you're lucky.

And likely one of the easiest ways to kill someone and do jail time.
TMT
Steve Barker wrote:

energized. If you have a 220 volt outlet on the generator it's a total waste of time. If you are thinking about it now, you can plan for a failure by installing a 220 volt adapter and switch over box.
--
Van Chocstraw