AC Struggles

Page 2 of 2

Probably. About $456.34
Of course, there are several reasons why an AC might not work properly. Since the unit is 11 years old, it really should be serviced by an AC company.
You wouldn't drive your car for 11 years without an oil change?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Buck Turgidson" wrote

Buck, if you havent had any coolant added in 11 years, thats a likely spot. Prices vary for that but apt to be in line with about 100$ plus whtever they charge locally for a regular checkup and cleaning of the coils. Call it probably 200-275$ total as a reasonable guess? May obviously be a bit more or less where you are.
This assumes you've done the obvious and changed any filters etc (about 5$ for a new filter here and takes all of 3 mins to swap out the old one).
My area is a little cheaper and we got an estimate in spring, 175$.

You shouldn't tell an auto repair shop, or AC or furnace or most any guy what is wrong with something, or what he needs to do, unless one is certain.
If you tell him what to do and it doesn't help, he just did what you told him and he's not responsible that it didn't help. Let him figure out what he thinks is wrong, and why, and then the customer can decide what to do.
Like I said, I don't use my AC much but it's 29 years with no added freon and worked fine last summer.