AC Freon Leak ?

Page 2 of 2
JackpipE wrote:

    He added 8 lbs. of freon and never looked for the leak???? I think I would either raise hell or get another person to service the unit.

Freon will evaporate almost as soon as it hits the air. It will not leave anything behind. The unit will have oil in it and you may find some oil around where it leaks out.
If he added 8 pounds, the system must be empty or almost empty. He should have checked for leaks to find out where the freon leaked out. If really empty, he should have put a vacuum pump on it and sucked all the air and any moistuer out of the system before it was refilled.
YOu are right, the system is a closed system and the freon should stay in it unless there is a leak. Anytime freon is added, it means a leak somewhere as it does not get used up.

Your right the only way it woud be empty is if there is a leak.

:
http://e-pixel.net/freon.jpg

If you want to know for sure, mix up some very concentrated dish soap with a little water. Take a little paint brush and whip it up into a froth with little tiny air bubbles in it. "Paint it" thickly all over the exposed liquid line, sight glass & filter drier. Check it several times over a few hours and see if the bubbles start to grow from a leak (especially at the joints).
I'd think the guy shoulda put a vacuum pump out, and remove the air. And then ought have checked for leaks. To lose the entire charge over the winter, there's gotta be a leak.
Also, eight pounds? Must be a big system. Most central AC near me use five to six pounds.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Professionals" on house calls measure differently.
i had a similar problem , my sight glass was leaking on 15 YEAR OLD SYSTEM. 5 companies were willing to add freon, suggested a new system ,and were unwilling to repair the leak. i fixed it myself by removing the sightglass and connected line without it.i vacumed it and filled with r22 ...been working for 7 years. most companies now are ripoff artists thanks to freon regulation.. lucas
JackpipE wrote:

What surprised me is that they found your system empty and they didn't replace the liq. line drier. If you find a system that low on refrigerant you would change the drier and put the system in vacuum then charge the system plus making sure there is a low pressure switch in the system so it will shut down if you run low again.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

He should have been able to look for the leak as soon as he added the freon. There are several kinds of detectors. One is like a propane torch with a rubber hose on it that you move the hose around and if it picks up freon, the flame will change colors. Very old way, been around for over 75 years. There is an ultrasonic probe that will pick up the sound of the leak. Also is an electronic probe that will indicate a leak sort of like the old torch detector but uses an electronic element instead of a flame. All of the detectors will operate just as soon as the freon is added and the unit is started.
I don't think I would pay for another service call just for finding a leak as it should have been done the first time.

On mine the tech checked the outside coils and fittings but said the evap coil is a waste of time considering the system is so old. If there is an inside leak the system should be replaced. I'm not defending it. That's what he told me. Personally I feel a bit taken advantage of but I still don't know.
JackpipE wrote:

You have to remember what time of the day it is and what work load he has. I know from experience that when you craw into an attic in the heat of the day it can kill a technician also if he has allot of other customers he had to worry about having the time to get to them. I have also temporary fixed systems and came back at a better time to completely finish the job. I tell you that the labor is about the same it has been for a number of years but not the parts. To give you an example a couple of years ago you could find R-22 at the wholesale price of $40 and today you are looking at around $200. So now you have to figure the cost of replacement and figure in the loss plus what profit you need to stay in business.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Again. According to the EPA it doesn't require a 1000% markup on R22. It's a scare tactic used to screw homemoaners.
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/phaseout/22phaseout.html
No charge?
What a laugh.
The guy will likely need to spend hours to check for ALL of the leaks (Don't assume there is only one leak) and then there is the repairs and replacements. Your Free service could and should cost you a grand or more after he is finished.
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 06:29:57 -0700 (PDT), JackpipE

A serious leak like that should be detectable within a minute or so of adding freon. I'm with you, this is a follow up, what the guy shoulda done the first time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus