AC Freon Leak ?

Page 1 of 2
I just had AC service done last week and the technician said that there were no freon in the system at all. As far as I know frean doesn't just disapper and since it worked fine last summer there must be a leak. So he added 8lb and the system works fine but I noticed some kind of white sludge on a plastic cover of my basement window next to the copper freon pipe. Here is a pictures of what it looks like:
http://e-pixel.net/freon.jpg
Is that the place of my possible leak?
Jack

A 'sniffer' detector should be able to pick up the leak quite easily. Best done on a day with no wind. Call your servicing company and ask them to do the leak check for you. IMO, they should have done it during the system recharge. Good luck.
Joe

Out of curiosity:
8lb at ? per lb? If unknown, what was total bill?
What's your approx location?
Was it R22 or 410A?

I paid $236.45 for 4.5lbs R22
Austin TX

Just for the R22 itself? Not including service call, check this & that? Appreciate the response but question it because I find it odd they would charge an oddball abmont of $52.54/lb.
Red Green wrote:

Hi, Sales tax?

No problem:
This is the way the bill reads
Diagnostic Analysis: $65.00 4.5lbs R22 1st lb 75.42 each lb after that 46.03: $236.45 Total: $301.45
Desc. of work: Found unit low on R22 ref charged unit w/4.5 lbs. Checked for leak outside and found no leak. Leak most likely in evap coil.
Recommendation: Get ready to replace system.
Bill finished.
The tech told me it wasn't worth spending a lot of time on it as it's just money down the drain. He said R22 has gone through the roof and I should have the system replaced when the pressure drops again. He quoted me anywhere around 5k to 10k for a new system. So far I have about 1/2 of the money saved up for a new system. The one I have now is an Amana 042. He said it was a cheap system.
I figured the repair and the quote was too expensive and I wouldn't use that particular company to replace unit. I wasn't too impressed with Christian Bros. despite the good reviews they have from other customers.

Well, we often feel repairs & quotes are too expensive in many arenas..
but...

WTF? Like they pay more for the 1st lb when they buy it?! All adds get hit with the first lb premium. 75*30=$2,250. Can you imagine? They can get up to that much out of a 30lb can. I'd say they are a ripoff.
Sounds like a good way to calculate the mark up.
Thing is, that HVAC companies have a lot of expenses that don't get itemized in the bill. Gasoline, insurance, wages, etc. It's not like you walk into the store and ask the butcher for a pound of R-22 and slice it thin. We come to you, in a gasoline drinking van full of heavy tools.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

to my house for $198. I'm new to this type of A/C being from the SW but I learn quickly. I'll be damned If I'll ever pay that kind of mark up again. That company is going to have to explain what the hell is going on. The tech told me the prices are going through the roof for R22. Sounds like he exaggerated to me.
http://www.refrigerant.net /
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/phaseout/22phaseout.html
I'm getting my grill heated up right now.
It shouldn't cost but about 3-4k for a new coil and outdoor unit installed.

S. Barker wrote:

and maybe even replace some ductwork.

jthread wrote:

How old is the unit? Ever cleaned or inspected evaporator coil? If it's old, it is good idea to replace it.

What. The system or the coil?
jthread wrote:

Whole system with better SEER but if it's not that old, coil may be dirty or leak may be from there. Today's techs don't like jobs taking too much time like looking/checking for leak. If it loses freon again, you can pressure test it and then find where the leak is if test fails. I have bro.-in-law who is in the business(BIG commercial contractor) when I need dhelp he sends out a tech we can trust.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Sure is. BTW, good for who?

Was that for a service call plus the r22 ?
I have not priced the r22 in many years. Think I gave about $ 70 for a 20 or 30 lb container of it. Must have been about 10 years ago.
What is the current price for r22 in a container ?
Couple weeks ago, I was quoted $198 for 30 pounds at my parts house.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks, that sounds more like what I thought the cost should be. About 15 years ago I had a house that would loose enough r22 on a central air system to freeze up once a year. After two years I bought a 30 lb container for about what a service call was, somewhere around $ 70. I put some in and checked the connections (screw together for the lines) and did not have to add any more after that. Still had almost all of the container. Bought another house and the 20+year old heatpump went out. Put in a new Train unit. Had a choice of the r22 or the newer refrigerant system. Decided to stay with the r22 as I have it in my head that had been around for many years and it runs at less pressure so maybe it would last longer.
I just did not think the r22 had gone up like the r12. Years ago it was about a dollar a pound can and later after the band it was about $ 18. Not sure what it is now or if they even sell it. Think I still have about 6 cans I bought for $ 9 each, but nothing to put it in now.
The old "little cans" of R-12 sometimes can still be found. I have a couple in my refrigerator. Reminds me, I've got a call to work on some R-12 equipment at a restaurant, here's my chance to get rid of them. Nothing is made with R-12 any more.
I'd offer to buy them from you except that we're probably too far away.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus