A tractor, a chain, and one less eye.

Page 1 of 3
I was getting my haircut last night and my barber told me of an accident his uncle recently had.
He was out in the woods pulling some logs with a chain attached to his tractor. Apparently when he tossed the chain in the direction of the tractor, it landed across the battery or some electrical connections and starting sparking. As he moved towards the tractor to remove the chain, the battery exploded.
He was dressed in coveralls and a long sleeve shirt, so the acid burns were minor, but a piece of the battery case hit him the eye. The tractor was disabled so he had to walk about 15 minutes with a bleeding eye to get to his house.
He called 911 along the way and the ambulance met him at the house. They were unable to save his eye and he now has a prosthetic. My barber said that they used digital imaging to take a picture of his good eye and then created a "lens" for the prosthetic so that it matches his other eye perfectly. Everything moves normally so people can't tell that it's not his real eye.
On 5/14/2013 5:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Tractors! The government should ban them!

How can ppl miss an eye on a crutch?
On 05/14/2013 03:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This doesn't surprise me; lead acid batteries can also explode when charging them, sometimes even just blowing the "caps" off will cause the sulfuric acid to shoot out of them.
Think of a lead acid battery as a very tightly wound spring, with all that entails, and you can begin to appreciate the need for safety around them.
The man in this story is lucky he only lost one eye.
Jon
On 5/14/13 5:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hmmm. This sounds like a fishin' story. The batteries on all the tractors I've seen were in cases. There is usually a cover over the battery box. This goes back to tractors manufactured in the 1940s with six volt systems. The only possibly exposed electrical connection is at the starter solenoid. Those are typically at the rear of the engine just like on a car. Chains don't throw well either for that matter. Is your barber's name Aesop?

Nope, and he's not just my barber. He does contracting jobs on the side and we've worked together a few times. We'll be pouring a new stoop at my house next month. I have no reason to think he'd lie to me, but obviously you are free to do so.

First he says that "usually" tractors have a battery cover. Then he says the only "possible" way to short it out is via the starter terminal? There are all kinds of tractors. If you take a look at one at the highway authority garage that they use to cut grass, it's very likely relatively new, intact, with the battery covered. But if you're talking about some old farm tractor, I've certainly seem plenty of them in all kinds of shape, parts, covers, safeties etc missing.
It sounds like a freak accident, but certainly possible. And it's not an internet story. The barber should know if his uncle no longer has one eye.

Thanks for the support.
On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:16:19 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Yup, and tractor owners have *NEVER* gotten lazy and didn't bother to put the cover back on after dealing with a corroded battery cable, or a jump start, or, or, or....
Those steel battery boxes have *NEVER* rusted away over the last 70 years, due to close contact with battery acid...
I've seen plenty of old tractors with batteries fully exposed to the world, held in a convenient location by rubber tarp straps.
On 5/14/2013 6:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Farming accidents are very common. It is one of our most dangerous professions. I know a farmer whose young son fell off tractor riding with dad and dad ran over and killed him. Grief nearly killed the dad.
Several years ago, I was at the PA state fair and a rep from Pioneer Seed was there. My former employer, DuPont had just bought them out and I mentioned it to the rep. He told other retired coworker and I that DuPont was killing them with their safety program. DuPont having started in the gun powder business was extremely safety conscious.
I had to always wear safety glasses in the lab. I wear old pairs now when cutting the grass or using machinery. If tractor driver wore them, his sight may have been saved.
When I worked at a Sears auto center we had someone come in who knew everything. One day, he was checking the water in a customer's battery (with the customer watching) and to see better, he pulled out his cigarette lighter to get a better look.
Once the battery blew up, he got in his car and left. The customer had to be led into the wash station to clean his eyes and everything else.
We never saw him again after that.

everything. One day, he was checking the water in a customer's battery (with the customer watching) and to see better, he pulled out his cigarette lighter to get a better look.

One blew up on me when I was about 19 or so. I was hooking up jumpers on the "dead" battery when it blew apart on me from the spark. Apparently there was still plenty of life in it. Fortunately I was wearing glasses and was close to a sink. Scared the crap out of me.
Per Frank:

Yet another reason not to get vision-corrective surgery.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

On 5/16/2013 8:10 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Not only that but; my wife had laser surgery and she still wears glasses....
What's the point?

I've been wearing glasses for 60 years. That is one reason I've not considered the laser job. Besides, I've had some protection all those years and it has been handy.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

I'm nearsighted: can't see the big "E" on the eye chart.
But with no glasses I can read a computer screen (if I move a little closer), I can read a book, I can read a map...
With corrective surgery, I would need glasses to do all those things.
Plus, I'd have to have prescription lenses in my safety glasses when working with tools.
Since I wear sunglasses outside most of the time (prescription sunglasses...) and, the rest of the time am glad for the added protection of plain glasses...
The only time that glasses are a hassle outside is on the water - as in windsurfing or paddling my surf ski. In those cases I use disposable contact lenses.
I can't, for the life of me, see why anybody in my situation would ever get corrective surgery.
--
Pete Cresswell

No, with corrective surgery you *might* need glasses to do different things. If you're still young, you probably wouldn't.

You don't have safety glasses now?

Again, if you're young you wouldn't need glasses at all (assuming successful surgery, of course).
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

AFIK, the need for reading glasses is inevitable in all except the near-sighted. Young, yes... but, with a little luck, most people will make it to middle age and that's where the need for reading glasses sets in.
--
Pete Cresswell

So it's a waste of money for a 20YO to get corrective surgery because he'll have to wear glasses in 30 years anyway? BTW, those glasses will only need to be corrected for "strength" (read: cheap). Astigmatism will be taken care of.

Nearsighted need them too. While I can see small objects close up, I lose that ability at about 5".