a problem with electric meters?

Page 5 of 9

I thought one of the cases for smart meters was that they allowed the utility to avoid having to build more generating capacity for peak loads and replace it with "greenouts": shutting off heavy loads in a house such as heating/air conditioning, water heaters, clothes washers/ dryers, etc. without shutting off the whole house. It's also one of the reasons for "smart appliances". This probably saves the utility a lot of money. It still amounts to Unreliable Service(tm) but they get to call it something else.
What they don't tell you is that the time they will shut off the air conditioning is when it's 87 inside (with the thermostat set something lower, it doesn't really matter how much lower because the A/C can't keep up) and 108 outside (yes, this is in Texas).

TXU is now advertising a plan you can switch to "nights are free". I think it's more of a gimmick to get people to switch electric providers than anything else. But anyone taking that plan will want to switch optional use (like clothes washers/dryers) to whatever hours are considered "night".

I think removing the need to build generating capacity saves them more.
On Sat, 26 May 2012 10:12:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

Smart meters have nothing to do with selectively shedding loads. You need equipment in each of those branch circuits to do that. They can do metering by time of day.
I also doubt they allow the PoCo to shut off the power remotely. That would require a pair of triacs inside the meter that could handle 200a. The I2R losses of those triacs would melt the meter base.
On Sat, 26 May 2012 11:35:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What the smart meter does do, is give the PC a data link into your home, which *can* be used for load shedding.

AIUI, some do it. It's not likely using triacs, though. 250W, or so, would make the meter a tad warm. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Oh, they can do it.

Sure, but a triac has about a 1.4V "ON" voltage, probably higher at these currents. At 200A, that's 280W. Number one, that's wasted power, and two, it's a *lot* of heat to get out of the meter. Can, but does?

SOME can do it. There ARE smart meters in use, world-wide, that only supply power when you have a credit balance. When your credit runs out, the power goes off - and you go to the meter with your credit or debit card, and "recharge" the meter to turn the lights back on.
That is NOT the kind of "smart meter" being installed by MOST local power authorities in Canada and the USA

smart center

On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:49:09 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That feature is in most smart meters or can be added with a simple download. I know for a fact that FPL's 4.3 million smart meters have that feature. (I talked to GE's tech support, the manufacturer FPL'ssmart meters, about the undocumented ordering features/codes. )
The recharge/reactivation is done wirelessly.
On 5/30/2012 6:58 AM, T. Keating wrote: ...

Do you know which is the specific model FPL is using (the I-210+ or I-210+c)?
They are prepayment-capable but doesn't mean FPL either ordered it or is planning to.

FPL is deploying the I-210+ (no C suffix) for nearly all of it's residential customers. ( I refused permission to change out my meter.)
Ordering options on FPL's I-210+ are..
O = AMR, V2 = Simple Voltage event monitor, F2 = Demand limit, J2 = Emergency Load reduction(same leg of 110V connected to both sides, no"0v appliance operation.) U2 = Remote disconnect & Prepaid disconnect.

See above.. ..
On 5/30/2012 8:08 AM, T. Keating wrote: ...

Why? (Think you got a slow mechanical? :) )
Won't they just tell you to find another supplier on down the road?

No, I have an accurate mechanical meter..
I don't want an in-accurate, unreliable, hackable smart meter. That will double bill me for and PV power I push onto the grid. I have PV panels, and UL listed Enphase inverters ready to go, I just haven't put them up.. yet..

Not at this time, since FPL has an exclusive monopoly in their service area.

No, I have an accurate mechanical meter..
I don't want an in-accurate, unreliable, hackable smart meter. That will double bill me for any PV power I push onto the grid. I have PV panels, and UL listed Enphase inverters ready to go, I just haven't put them up.. yet..

Not at this time, since FPL has an exclusive monopoly in their service area.
On 5/30/2012 10:39 AM, T. Keating wrote:

I just looked on the FPL site; there's no indication on the application for net metering that it's not the same procedure for the smart meters as mechanical.
I think the complaints/concerns are made up, frankly.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Some smart meters do indeed provide remote disconnect/reconnect capability. They certainly wouldn't use triacs though, they would use a motor/solenoid actuated disconnect.

I still want to see 200a DPDT switch gear that will fit inside that meter and still have room for the RF module and the actual metering hardware.
And I know how to SNIP

The switching operation would probably create enough problems with the RF module.
--
Tekkie

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24391039-Money-trumps-security-in-smart-meter-rollouts-experts-say~start
scroll down to bottom of page... observe the pics of a 200 amp smart meter opened up..
Looks like some sort of latching relay..
On 6/16/2012 8:35 AM, T. Keating wrote:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24391039-Money-trumps-security-in-smart-meter-rollouts-experts-say~start

To do pilot control for whatever load(s) will be shed...

Nice try.
That is a "load control METER BASE" not the meter. They did not change the meter base here.