A dinmmable substitute for an incadescent bulb

We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table. There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp.The lamp has been on wall dimmer for a dozen years. I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs tucked away while waiting for a good bulb substitute.
Last week we were at Sam's Club. Here's what I found>
A 4-pack of bulbs, made in China (of course) branded GE. They have a clear glass envelope the size of a standard 100 watt bulb. Inside is a small halogen bulb. They are not really a big electricity saver, but consume only 72 watts. The cost at Sam's was about $6
I finally installed them today. They dim nicely. They passed the wife's appraisal and seem to be brighter at full power than the old bulbs.
The packaging has the usual warning about halogen bulbs and a further statement that they should be used in a shaded fixture to eliminate UV emission.
I thought you folks would be interested. I haven't noticed them being advertised.
Charlie
<SNIP the application to edit for space>

If the halogen capsules have glass outer bulbs around them, which is usual for halogen replacements for ordinary incandescents, then the UV is not a problem. I suspect the package designer did not know everything.

I use 4 60 watt in same style of fixture. Bought a bunch of GE ones. Package said assembled in USA. Are we importing bulb parts now? WW

Halogen bulbs ARE incandescent. That's why you can dim them so easily.
--
Tegger

ptember.org:

My vote for the best answer.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:04:31 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

"In case of radioactive wind, break glass for fresh iodine."

A car bounces around a lot, but when I put halogen headlights in my car, the headlights kept breaking, after my driving for 30 years and never having to replace a headlight. Will I be stuck with this when I finally by a 2000+ car?
On 03/26/2011 12:52 PM, mm wrote:

just stick with your old car that uses sealed beams, and get some Cibie reflectors that use H4 bulbs. Best. Headlights. Evar.
If you really want to impress the neighbors, wire 'em up with a relay harness to get a full 14V to the back of each bulb.
The nice thing about E-codes like the Cibies is that they put out an amazing amount of light but do not dazzle oncoming traffic on low beam due to the sharp horizontal cutoff. On high beam, they WILL blind other drivers, even with "legal" 55/60W bulbs...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 3/26/2011 12:52 PM, mm wrote:

Is it a halogen bulb that goes into a reflector or is it a sealed beam halogen? I know Sylvania had some bad bulbs and when I called customer service they sent me 2 new sealed beam halogen lights. Actually the day before I had contacted them from their website but was impatient and called the next day, so they sent me a total of 4 new sealed beams. That was about 10 years ago and I still have 2 or 3 of the new ones.

Please don't shoot the messenger!
GE, on the packaging, prominently says they are an "incandescent replacement." In the finer print it says "traditional incandescent."