A/C - two 5k same as one 10k ?

All things being equal, do you think it will cost more to run two 5000 btu or one 10000 window a/c.
This will be interesting. I have no input, but I have a two story house with separate units for upstairs and downstairs. I will be very interested in this conversation.
Maury Wylie, TX

Well, you are welcome. Glad to give you something to do...

Assume that the output of two 5k units are equal to the output of a 10k unit. Reasonable assumption. Check out the current draw on each of the two units. Multiply the current draw of the 5k unit by 2 and compare it against the current draw of a 10k unit.
There is your answer.
PJ
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.x.x.x.x (KJFK) wrote in message

Can't reasonably guess from info you provide. Consider that mounting a window unit breaks the window seal, and that current efficient window units seal very tightly. Two such bypassed seals at different elevations can have significant chimney effect.
OTOH, having cooling capacity distributed makes it possible to use it more closely to where you need it, when you need it.
Many other factors apply, like locating on sunny/shaded side of house, of course.
Regards, John
KJFK,
The 10,000 btu unit will be the cheaper to run.
Dave M.
"KJFK" wrote in message:

If *all* things are truly equal - the 10,000 btu will be cheaper to operate. However if more cool air is required in a one area versus another (possible second floor or part of the house with more sun exposure) then individual units may pay for themselves over the life of the units.
Jim
If you cool the entire house, it is expensive. If you just cool the room you are using, it is cheaper. So I have several window units and only use them when I am using the rooms.
So maybe get a 10,000 to cool the entire house and a 5,000 for the bedroom? Then just run the 5,000 at night. Be sure to get energy star units which save electricity.
"KJFK" wrote in message

If you run out of windows to mount them in then the discussion has an obvious answer. My old house really had only two windows that were an air conditioner could be mounted and where it would not be an obvious eye sore. Two 5000 btu units were enough to cut the edge off an otherwise unpleasant day - if I want grocery store quality cold air I would have had to buy two larger units.

Are they 120VAC, 220? What is the EER ratings?