I bought a fireplace plug (rectangular) from HD to stop air from leaking
Unfortunately, when the plug is inflated it has creases along the edges and
is unable to seal tight against the fireplace wall. This is because the plug
is made of inelastic plastic sheets laminated together and has several
slittable areas in the middle.
Is there a better alternative? Something made of flexible material like a
yoga exercise ball?
I took steel 1.2" L channel and screwed it in the fireplace opening
all around, then 4" foamboard painted flat black and put magnetic tape
on the foamboard. It fits tight and raised my living room temp about
3-4f. When its inplace behind a screen you dont notice it. Its the
only way to stop the mass of cold brick from cooling the room and the
door sets I saw sold didnt have airtight seals. Just wait a day till
embers are gone before putting it inplace. Ballons kindof work but a
magnetic foam plug I think cant be beat in in terms of R value and air
sealing. A tip, put the magnetic tape on the metal, then stick the
foamboard to it, then you are assured of proper fit.
Ive never seen a sealing set of fireplace doors. I was told by a
fireplace dealer store that maybe for 1000$ I could get a set, all
leak air that ive seen, the insulating value of glass doors with metal
frames is near zero to 1R. My set I junked.
If the damper is closed and the glass doors are closed, there is
virtually no air leakage around/thru the doors. The doors do get
colder than room temperature, but so do the walls and windows. I
thought you were worried about actual airflow.
I have a locking pull down damper, I had a door, only with a foam
sheet covering the opening did the room warm up. Id say because the
firebox is large, uninsulated, and exposed, it just makes a difference
I made a cylindrical chimney plug for a zero clearance fireplace by
rolling up a length of 1/2" foam rubber and tying it into shape. I
just shoved it up the chimney like a piston, friction held it in
place. A bit messy but I only used the fireplace a few times a year.
Not a good idea to try it right after a hot fire.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.