Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas fireplace & doors
I converted a wood burning fireplace to gas logs. My question is what is more efficient? Keep the glass doors closed or open? The conversion doesn't have a blower. I always thought if you have the...
7
7

Roku, anyone?
I am at the point of wanting to dump TV providers. They charge too much and much/most of what they deliver is junk. Even though we don't watch a lot of TV there are times when a bit of mental popcorn...
8
8

Choosing Furnace Efficiency
Our gas utility is giving rebates for buying a greater than 92% efficient furnace. There's also a tax credit available. These greatly reduce the premium for buying such a unit and then of course there...
62
62

Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?
Hi, Our electrician recommended we replace the 85 50W halogen spotlights in our ceilings with LEDs. We live in Costa Rica where electricity is expensive and frequent lightening strikes and power...
88
88

Cracked weatherstrip around garage door frame
Hi, the white weatherstrip that runs around the frame of my garage door is cracked due to aging. How do I replace them? See the photo of the crack: Also the black rubber strip at the bottom of my...
3
3

Off the shelf water inlet valve adapter
Kenmore side by side refer/freezer has a water dispenser leak. Google tells me that it is probably a bad water inlet valve, or low water pressure.. The supply is a R.O. under the sink system that may...
3
3

OT: Push v. pull commuter trains
After this weekend's NY train crash I started wondering if commuter trains that are being pushed by an engine are more likely to derail than trains that are being pulled by an engine. My wife takes a...
38
38

The Perfect Gift
The perfect gift: A Tool Box Most everyone has a screwdriver or two laying around the house, but not everyone has a minimum collection stored in a tool box. If you know a young person graduating from...
1
1

Cabinet doors sticking
I am trying to get some cabinet doors trimmed to stop them from sticking when they are closed. When I trim for a door, I use a business card to find the spots that need shaving. But for these cabinet...
4
4

Thermocople or gas valve problem
I just installed a new thermostat and my furnace is blowing cold air. My pilot light is on but it still not heating up. My furnace is a clare hecla and the model # is G126-LB-C.
14
14

Home networking
I thought of installing a wifi system in my house. My tablet computer cannot access the internet without it and the streaming movie boxes (netflix, etc) require it, too.. Right now I have two...
16
16

I invented a 2-phase DC battery pack
Here's what my genius mind came up with. First I obtained a standard D-cell battery pack that holds 2 batteries in series. Next I installed a center tap between the two batteries in the battery pack....
99
99

Cracked Heat Exchanger
This is about a Bryant gas-fired downflow forced-air furnace, about 20 years old. It sits atop the A/C evaporator box. It's the kind where there is an inducer (exhaust) blower. The inducer function...
27
27

Local news, tools to carry in car
I suppose this was on the local TV news, or some place like that. When the weather started having snow west of here, the reader read something about how, in order to be safe, one should carry tools in...
45
45

OT: Cloud storage providers
Folks, I'm researching cloud storage providers, and asking all my NGs if people have real-time experience with and/or opinions about companies in this chart: Your advice appreciated. HB
32
32