747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower

Believe it or not. Now they have flying Lawnmowers. See one fly here: http://www.jumpingpixels.com/747lawn.html

The "Flymo" has been around since the early 80s at least.
Harry K

Believe it or not? I don't. Anyone who knows anything about aeronautics knows that you have to have a lifting surface (wing-like shape) to get things to fly. I did not see any such surface in the video. And although the handle could be used as a horizontal/verticle stabilizer, the surface area is not large enough to be as maneuverable as the video shows.
Bob
Bob wrote:

http://www.flyingthingz.com/products.html
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?

Power Even A Brick Can Fly".
http://www.craigcentral.com/models/f-4e/default.asp
--
Keith

In the mower's case, the deck of the mower is the wing. In addition to the F4, add the F-104 and the C-124.
Bob wrote:

BAck in the days of U-control (plane attached to wires flying in a circle) you did not need any lifting surface at all, just enough power and a way to get moving to "fly". Centrifugal force was enough to keep an obect airborne.
Harry K

The deck can also be a lifting surface. The "engine" can also be slotted to act as a multi-wing lifting surface. It has been some years since I flew RC planes, but I've seen some crazy stuff fly and fly well. Hell, I've seen some real aircraft that look as though they won't fly but they do. Before you say "no", go to a model airplane contest and see what can be done.

My first reaction is NOT to believe it either. But I've been wrong before. In this day and age it's hard to believe "anything" you see on the net.

Late '70s. Sky acres airport, NY, RC fly-in.
Not only did I see the lawnmower fly, snoopy's doghouse got airborn as well!
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Looking at the model airplanes-for-sale link, I want to add the flying doghouse I saw had a much less obvious wing.