Subject Author Posted Replies

OT - Things you might never need to know.
Gears are probably the most efficient method of mechanical power transmission we have today, and much of the reason for that is the shape that gear teeth are ground to. Unlike the triangular or...
11
11

Lightning Strike, Breakers Tripped
Wowser! Lightning strike two nights ago shook our house and sent our puppy (briefly) into hiding. Our son lives about 1/2 mi. away as the crow flies; the hit turned off some of his breakers. His...
9
9

the preheat beeper go off before the oven is at full temperature
My oven preheats quickly to about 250 and beeps that it is ready. But I have it set to a higher temperature. If I just wait a few minutes it will get to the temperature setting, and cooks just fine....
3
3

refrigerator freezer troubles
Hi All, Help! refrigerator freezer: Whirlpool GR2SHKXKQ 21.6 cu ft Purchased ~ 12/2010 Stinker won't cool below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Both sections. It started out stinking like a burnt tire. Then...
149
149

Leakly coupler joint
For a long time I occasionally would smell sewer gas in the vicinity of my kitchen sink. I thought it was because I hadn't been using my dishwasher. I finally took a look under the sink and discovered...
5
5

I do not like water-saving washers
They don't get the clothes clean and stink about every 2-3 weeks. Have been buying some brand name cleaner that costs a fortune. Anyone have another clearner that will get that stink out and doesn't...
49
49

Carpet smells after steam-clean
Maybe the machine operator chowed down a refried bean lunch right before your job and farted his way through your house.
9
9

Getting Stoned ...
The wall behind my stove , that is . Having done much research I have found that the distance from the wall to the stovepipe means that my soon-to-be-started stone work does not need to have an air...

Water Heater again!
Oh so annoying! I had called the plumber because it was getting to where our replacement water heater had to be lit once a day. Initially we had a new one installed on New Year's Eve, 2009. It worked...
106
106

best product for restaining concrete?
I need some recommendations on what to use for restaining concrete steps on our breeze way. The stain on them now is getting worn and I'd like to clean them up and restain them. It's in a covered area...
5
5

Word Wrapping & Time Stamping
Is this a problem on my end (sorry ladies)? I thought time stamps and wrapping were handled by the receiving party. I'm using OE6 -- will try anything if my posts are creating a problem for anyone.
15
15

Labor Day
Around here, there was hardly a flag put out. I'm not a flag waver, but do make it point to put ours up at least on what I consider the more important days - Labor Day being one of them. I'm just...
18
18

spray foam question
We have an old hot tub on our deck. One of several issues with it is that mice have been tunneling in the foam insulation that resides between that t ub and the wooden frame. I've shop-vacced out as...
2
2

gasolene for small engines
If I use high octane gasolene w/o alcohol in my small engines is it ok not to use any of the various stablizers? How long will the high octane be safe to use w/o the stabilizer?
31
31

TS DC Motor on Electric Lawnmower
Welll, the 20 year old Ryobi BMM-2401 beast stopped in its tracks today. Any ideas on where the short might be? Here's my story.... I didn't hit anything unusual - just a thick patch of grass and it...
4
4