I do not like water-saving washers

They don't get the clothes clean and stink about every 2-3 weeks. Have been buying some brand name cleaner that costs a fortune. Anyone have another clearner that will get that stink out and doesn't cost and arm and leg? Main ingredient on the brand name is sodium carbonate, so I'm wondering if I just dump some plain sodium carbonate (washing soda) in with some vinegar if that would do just as good. I don't want to use bleach.

Stupid ass environmentatlly unconscious Calif wackies.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Stupid ass environmentatlly unconscious Calif wackies.

Reply to
Julie Bove

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 00:42:25 -0700, "Guv Bob" wrote in

Try filling it with water only plus 1/2 cup of bleach. Then let it sit for an hour.

Reply to
VinnyB

My top load Whirlpool (predates when I moved here, in 1994) has never needed that treatment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do not like them here or there I do not like stinky under wear

I do not like them, Sam I Am, I do not like green eggs and ham!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

mixing soda with vinegar creates salt and negates the best parts of either soda [basic] or vinegar [acid]

the Ms. uses glatial acetic acid on her clothes and silks, so on wash day evyerhting smells like a salad. But on other days veyr neutral.

My recommendation is bleach 1:4 with water, let sit, rinse. But you mentioned no bleach, but still it works.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Five years ago I bought a new front loader, GE. Besides the stink problem, I had trouble with rinsing. The clothes never fully rinsed. We always selected the extra rinse feature. Towards the end of it's life in our house, we would select wash with extra rinse and then, after that was done, put it though what they called a quick wash, again with extra rinse and no soap ... really saved lots of water! Now we are very happy with a top loader that allows me to select how much water goes in the tub. So the clothes now do the sloshy slosh thing and the soap gets out. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Reply to
Art Todesco

We've had our front-loading water-saving Kenmore (made by Frigidaire, I think) for 12 years or more. No stink, gets clothes clean. I think we've used a special cleaning product in it once. We use the Sears HE detergent -- mostly the regular one, every now and then the one with (oxygen, not chlorine) bleach.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I think Consumer Reports talks about washing machine detergents

I just bought a Front Loader, and it's taken some getting used to. It saves water yes; it spins really fast, which cuts down on dying time;

but i think i should have gotten a larger drum. i like to do large loads, and my sheets didn't clean thoroughly [still learning how to use it]

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

Leave the door (front-loader) or lid (top-loader) open after use to allow the interior to dry, then it won't smell. It says so right in the RTFM.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Bleach is your friend, it's the sanitation equivalent of aspirin, the "wonder drug". Used properly it is safe for pretty much anything, and it doesn't produce resistant bacteria like some other sanitizers may.

Yes, just like people typically leave the lid up on a top load washer.

I've had a front load, tilt drum HE washer (Maytag SuperStack) for about

10 years and have never had an issue with performance or stink. I clean with bleach about quarterly. Indeed I've found I can cut back on detergent and it still does a good job and it of course also saves both water and energy via less hot water use and the high speed spin reducing the load on the dryer.
Reply to
Pete C.

Sitting helps, but running it through the cleaning cycle is better, at least on mine. I have a top loader Maytag During the clean cycle it runs water through the detergent dispenser, bleach dispenser, softener dispenser, as well a circulating water around the tub. There are five channels the water can run to the tub.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When we lived in Germany we used one of those water saving washers.

It did very well cleaning clothes, even got some stains out that had been through the washer in the US previously.

It was slow and could take only a small load, so planning was essential. Also there was no hot water connection.

Reply to
TimR

My clothes stink after only one week, or so I'm told. I tell them to mind their own business. ;)

Reply to
J Burns

That is why I would not have a front-loader. The top-loaders do not need a water tight seal, so moisture can easily escape with the lid closed.

Why not leave the front-loader door open? LIZARDS! There is no way to keep them out of the garage where the washer is located.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

"Guv Bob" wrote in news:VsqdnUPrKPWE9JTJnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Considering that washing soda is an alkali, and vinegar is an acid... no, it won't do "just as good". You'll get sodium acetate, carbon dioxide, and water -- none of which is really worth a hoot as a cleaning agent except water, and you already have plenty of that.

Plain washing soda by itself will do about as well as the detergent. What made you think adding vinegar would be beneficial?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Fred McKenzie wrote in news:fmmck-5F31FE.13294305092014 @news.mixmin.net:

Sure there is. Live someplace that doesn't have lizards.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Leaving the door open is not recommended, especially if there are small children around: a child could climb in and manage to pull the door shut on him/herself. Main door closed, detergent/bleach/fabric-softener-dispenser open for ventilation.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

40 years or so ago in Australia there were special cold-water laundry detergents (but washing machines usually did have both cold- and hot-water connections). Perhaps that was what one was intended to use in Germany too.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Also Maytag top loader. Machine never smells. We only use liquid detergent on advice of septic clean out guy who said it leaves less waxy scum in tank.

Reply to
Frank