68 illegals apply for MD license/ID card gave same address-800 sq ft home

Page 2 of 3

The courts have ruled that homeless people cannot be denied their right to vote.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

companies made you prove the person was uninsured. Your original post (or the original post) indicated it as a hit-skip. That might not qualify for uninsured since you can't prove they were uninsured.
--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
-Unknown

    Let's solve the problem. Give them an easy way to become legal.
    It seems so many people hate anyone coming into the US simply because they want to be here.
    Since everyone (yes even the indigenous population) came here from somewhere else, the only difference between legal and illegal is a matter and when they came in.
    I suspect that all the hate and fear is the result of the real fear that they might be better than us and we then would become less somehow. I truly feel sorry for those who fear others so much.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

(the last I could find) over 160,000 people of Mexican origin became legal residents.
--
When I split an infinitive, God damn it, I split it so it will stay split.
--Raymond Chandler

    That is wishful thinking. Even today if I were not already a US citizen, I would be facing a quota coming to the US from Ireland.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Pretty much my point. You want to come in legally, then you have to wait in line. I don't see any particular reason to actively reward those who jump the queue.
--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
-Unknown
On 03/30/09 03:55 pm Kurt Ullman wrote:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to employ more staff to process the applications than to try and round up the "illegals" afterward?
And, as long as that inscription remains on the Statue of Liberty, reject only those who already have a criminal record in their country of origin. And shut down the US propaganda machine that insists on telling everyone that this is the best country in the whole world.
Perce
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:14:58 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

    Good Point

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed, to me
    Too bad that the current rules seem to say just the opposit.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Look at the history. We are letting more in legally than at any time in our history. When those words were written the bar to get in was much higher.

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
-Unknown

    But why is there a bar????
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Why shouldn't there be?
--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
-Unknown

     I would guess because there is no "good" reason for having one. Sort of like establishing a minimum income to walk in a park.
On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:57:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Really? No good reason?
How about people with infectious diseases? How about hard core criminals? How about terrorists?
Not quite the same as a walk in the park.

Ellis Island was a harsh place. People were put back on boats and returned to the sea. Getting into America was not a given. A very dark book could have been written on Ellis Island, and probably has. But then, it would only interest people who could read, are interested in history, or want to know the truth.
But I guess someone would then write an abridged Pollyanna version.
Sheesh.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

You do mean politically correct version?
TDD

    Why the line? It the line were just a matter of getting the records straight, that would be one thing, but it is not a line, it is a quota. So how can you justify a quota that allows 50,000 from country A and 1,000 from country B.
    When you start looking at country A's vs country B's you tend to see a pattern. A pattern of hate and fear. If they don't look like us and if they are poor and if they speak a different language, we want to limit them, if they are wealthy and look like us and talk like us, then OK they can come.
    For many people that line is longer than their expected life expectancy.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

seeing now. It needs to be an orderly way of doing things. It is also, by definition, a political thing as to the quotas.

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
-Unknown

Or maybe because country A has a population of 25 million and country B has a population of 2 million. If you have no limits and no controlled process, then do you want someone chartering 747s and loading them up in Haiti or India with illiterare, unskilled people and bringing them here by the millions? The simple fact is there are hundreds of millions that would hop planes to come here if the door were wide open.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:18:31 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

the Native Americans would have to say about that? What would your ancestors have said if they were told .. Sorry not now, we don't want to share? Where would you be today?
On Mar 31, 7:40pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Again, you can't compare the situation from 100 to 200 years ago to today. Back then the US needed people because the country was a wide open territory undergoing huge expansion. Unskilled labor was needed to build railroads, bridges, sow shirts in factories. Anyone could dig a ditch. There was no govt welfare available or free healthcare for the indigent. Today the US is very different and clearly we do not need more uneducated, unskilled people. Having limits on how many people the US will accept is totally reasonable.
To make your comparison, how about I want to build a house or expand my kitchen? At the turn of the century I could generally do that without any govt involvement. Today, I have strict zoning, building codes, safety standards, I must comply with and can't use child labor to build it. I could also freely carry a pistol in public. Can't do that either.
All those things have changed too because the country has evolved. I'm still waiting for an answer as to whether you are in favor of allowing some lib organization that thinks like you to charter 747's and start ferrying people from any third world country on earth here in unlimited numbers? Do you remember what happened when Fidel shoved all the folks he wanted to get rid of out the door in the 70's?