Subject Author Posted Replies

should waste water from washing machine, kitchen, or bath go to septic tank?
As titled, should waste water from washing machine, or kitchen, bath, go to septic tank?
10
10

Difficulties rehabbing the surface of a table saw
There's been a old unisaw sitting in my garage which I decided to rehab. It had 1/16" layer of rust and I lost my patience and took a sander to it. I think it worked out OK, but in uncovered these...
6
6

toilet without vent?
I understand vent is quite important for proper flushing of toilet. Without vent, toilet has problems flushing. In the U.S., you can see vent pipes coming out of roof. Those are shingle roofs. If roof...
9
9

Garage Door Spring has sprung...
So one of the springs (one per garage door - there are two doors) has snapped after 30+ years (they just don't make things like they used to) :) I have been doing the work of the spring to put my...
8
8

Replacing Concord Ceiling Fan Capacitor and/or Transformer
Fan Model: 820 AL-G Series: 52DS5 Black 3 wire capacitor: 1 white wire goes to motor wiring harness clip, 1 white wire goes to forward/reverse switch, 1 red wire goes to motor wiring harness clip...
2
2

New concrete patio over old patio
We are planning to pour a new concrete patio between our house and garage, to replace pavers that have settled and correct the slopes around the buildings. The existing pavers will be reused for a new...
5
5

Downdraft range vents
Friend of mine is buying a home that has a defective downdraft range vent. Problem is the motor that raises and lowers the assembly appears to be burned out. Double question. - Are these generally...
2
2

OT Sunken Ship Rescue - One of the most fascinating TV shows I've seen lately
I didn't get a chance to see this January but saw it today. Very, very interesting show about all the engineering challenges that they had to face raising the ship. NOVA Sunken Ship Rescue (Repeat,...
38
38

Harbor Frieght success
Harbor Frieght success. HF saves the day. No point, just a story. I have 3 drills, one I bought new at Sears in 1974 one that the guy at Black & Decker was going to throw away because a customer...
1
1

Footings , anyone?
So the time has come to begin on the kitchen ... and the place to start is obviously at the bottom . I've checked out the web for info on footings for the "cellar" area , and have a good idea of the...
4
4

Questions on replacing a home well water pressure tank.
It is time to replace the 1988 vintage well pressure tank at my home. The bladder is no longer doing its job. As a homeowner for the past 30+ years I've done alot of plumbing work, including adding a...
4
4

Oven Light Bulb
The light bulb in our electric oven worked for a long time without problems ; I can't remember the last time I changed it until recently. When it burne d out a few weeks ago, I tried to unscrew it but...
8
8

Raising wood frame house two feet
Can't comment on the mechanics, but 4 related suggestions: 1. consider adding just a little more height. Now's your only chance. 2. consider closed-cell spray foam insulation under floor. 99% immune...
16
16

Glasgow bus stop built in cycle lane - BBC News
I don't understand the problem, this is common round here. Cycle lane all along the road, and every so often there's a bus stop marked on the road. The bicycles have to go round the bus, just like the...

Proper way to determine which GFCI circuit breaker is the correct replacement for the current breaker
All, I have a pool light that is not up to code according to the pool guy. He sa ys that I need to update the electrical box by adding a GFCI circuit breake r for the pool light circuit. So I opened...
14
14