5 Gallon Bottled Water Pump for Ice-maker

Anyone have any suggestions for a bottled water dispenser with a pump to feed an icemaker on a refrigerator?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Maybe something like an RV pump with built-in pressure switch, and small pressure tank. Look for AC instead of 12 VDC. And it should have some protection so it does not run dry.

Seems like overkill, though. Can't you just use a charcoal filter on a water line, or is your water really bad?

Reply to
David Efflandt

I'm sure anything can be rigged up. Never saw a stock type thing though. You need about 30 psi to feed properly.

What is the water problem? I have a taste/odor situation and a charcoal filter in-line takes care of it very well. If you have chemical contamination, different story. What are you doing for the kitchen tap water? If that is filtered, tap into the line past the filter system. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Really really bad.

Reply to
Ludwig

West Texas, small town, small lake.

Reply to
Bob

Why not get an R.O. filter. thats what some bottled water companys use. Cheaper in the long run. And you will have water cleaner than many bottled brands. Maybe 4-600 instaled. A pressure cap , pump , regulator for a jug ? At least 100 and probably trouble.

Reply to
m Ransley

There was some discussion about RO and ice makers some time back. Some will not work properly due to the pressure drop. Maybe they've improved? I don't know enough about th em to say anything for sure, but it is worth checking into. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are a few options. I have looked high and low for what you describe.

My first try was to get a pump that has a built in pressure switch as another poster has described. Its designed for RV type use. The problem is its loud and vibrates a lot and the water pulses. May work better with an expansion tank. I'm not sure which one I tried off this list but its packed up and abandoned in my basement.

A better solution may be from Flo-Jet. I think they are over priced but are designed to do what you want.

Sold here
and other places. (Actually the price is down to $99, it used to be about $160 if I recall, I may need to reconsider)

I do not know of any other options.

What I want is one that will have flow rates above 2 or 3 GPM yet be silent and automatic. My use would be a cottage w/o running water to supply some water for dishes, etc from a storage tank.

Reply to
Brikp

My new Sears fridge works fine as did my 10 year old GE and my 30 year old Gibson. ROs are $160 at Sams these days.

Reply to
Greg

put the tank on the roof or a stand and use gravity.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Ahh, been there, done that. I originally used an old beer keg with a 5/8" CPVC outlet at the bottom. I used some pex and ran down to a faucet. I couldn't get enough 'head'. I just got a trickle of water. Distance of drop was 8', no vacuum as top of keg was open. (Actually drop was 8' then a 3' rise inside of cabinet). I added the shureflow pump to this setup and it rattled the heck out of the cottage and the water pulsed like crazy. I'm sure a bladder tank would have helped a lot with the pulsing but not with the rattle /noise while in operation. I exchanged the pump for a new one with same results so I know its not the pump.

I am seriously considering the flowjet in my original response. I am no using one of those in the fridge bottles for bottled water on the counter. Works fine but takes up space in small kitchen.

Brikp

To the original poster Bob I think,

You might be a lot happier buying one the high end reverse-osmosis filtration units. This will make the water as pure as the bottled stuff and remain at line pressure. Plumbed correctly you could even deliver it to the cold side of the kitchen faucet or better yet a separate water spout.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Use a 4 gallon refillable refrigerator bottle. Remove the pour valve and in stall a windshield washer pump for an Infinity or Volvo (you'll need to go to an automotive parts place to match it up), they run about 22 psi and hav e a 1/4 inch outlet tube. Should work fine

Reply to
tbearnj

There is a third pump designed for just that - the Ice Mate - sold on Amazo n or the company's website.

Rather than pressuri zing the line, it pumps water when the ice-maker "calls" for it using the s olenoid (part of the fridge's ice maker). It can connect to whatever bottl ed water source you are already using so you don't have to have two.

Reply to
mhhlines